Register to reply

Vector dot products

by mindheavy
Tags: products, vector
Share this thread:
mindheavy
Mar1-13, 05:42 PM
P: 61
I'm reading up on dot products and keep seeing two different examples.

One states that u[itex]\cdot[/itex]v = u[itex]_{i}[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex]v[itex]_{i}[/itex] + u[itex]_{j}[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex]v[itex]_{j}[/itex]

Another: u[itex]\cdot[/itex]v = |u|[itex]\cdot[/itex]|v|cosθ

I'm not understanding when to use the first or second method?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
jbunniii
Mar1-13, 05:57 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,288
Quote Quote by mindheavy View Post
I'm reading up on dot products and keep seeing two different examples.

One states that u[itex]\cdot[/itex]v = u[itex]_{i}[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex]v[itex]_{i}[/itex] + u[itex]_{j}[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex]v[itex]_{j}[/itex]

Another: u[itex]\cdot[/itex]v = |u|[itex]\cdot[/itex]|v|cosθ

I'm not understanding when to use the first or second method?
At the risk of stating something obvious, it depends on what information you are given and what you are trying to find. If you know the two vectors then you can find the dot product using the first equation. Then you can find the angle between the vectors using the second equation.

On the other hand, if you are given the lengths of the vectors and the angle between them, you can use the second equation to find the dot product.
mindheavy
Mar1-13, 05:59 PM
P: 61
Makes sense, I think the way the book I'm looking in words it was confusing me. Thanks

HallsofIvy
Mar1-13, 07:47 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,552
Vector dot products

For example, if you are given that one vector is <1, 0, 0> and the other is <2, 2, 0> it is easy to calculate that the dot product is 1(2)+ 0(2)+ 0(0)= 2.

But if you are given that one angle has length 1, the other has length [itex]2\sqrt{2}[/itex], and the angle between them is [itex]\pi/4[/itex], it is easiest to calculate [itex](1)(2\sqrt{2})(cos(\pi'4)= 2[/itex].

By the way, in spaces of dimension higher than 3, we can use the "sum of products of corresponding components" to find the dot product between two vectors, then use [itex]|u||v|cos(\theta)[/itex] to define the "angle between to vectors".

Register to reply