Resistance of graphene dispersion

In summary, the person purchased a small bottle of graphene dispersion and applied it to a circuit board expecting to measure some resistance. However, the multimeter showed zero conductance. They are wondering why this is the case and if any processing needs to be done on the dispersion for it to become a good conductor. It is explained that graphene needs to be in a continuous piece or bonded together in order to conduct properly. A link to a commercial supplier with helpful notes is also provided.
simsCity
Hi,

I just got a small bottle of graphene dispersion (not GO) on ebay and put a small drop on a ciruit board as shown in the pic. I expected to measure a finite resistance because graphene is a conductor as much as I know. But it seems to have zero conductance from what I read on the multimeter. My question is: Why does it have zero conductance? Do I have to do a processing on the dispersion before it starts to be a good conductor?

Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• graphene.jpg
    graphene.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 448
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not a conductor if there are gaps; you would need a continuous piece of graphene, or multiple pieces that are bonded together so that they conduct from one to the next.

Here is a commercial supplier, with some helpful notes:
https://graphene-supermarket.com/Conductive-Graphene-Dispersion-100.html

Thanks...

1. What is graphene dispersion?

Graphene dispersion is a mixture of graphene particles and a liquid medium, typically water or a solvent. It is a form of graphene that is dispersed or spread out evenly throughout the liquid, creating a stable and homogeneous solution.

2. What is the resistance of graphene dispersion?

The resistance of graphene dispersion refers to the electrical resistance of the solution when a voltage is applied across it. It is a measure of how easily electricity can flow through the dispersion, and is influenced by the concentration of graphene particles and the properties of the liquid medium.

3. How is the resistance of graphene dispersion measured?

The resistance of graphene dispersion is typically measured using a four-point probe method, where four probes are placed at equal distances on the surface of the dispersion. A small voltage is applied between the outer probes, and the resulting current is measured between the inner probes. The resistance is then calculated using Ohm's law.

4. What factors affect the resistance of graphene dispersion?

The resistance of graphene dispersion can be affected by various factors, such as the concentration and size of graphene particles, the type of liquid medium, and the presence of impurities. The temperature and pH of the solution can also play a role in the resistance measurement.

5. How can the resistance of graphene dispersion be reduced?

The resistance of graphene dispersion can be reduced by increasing the concentration of graphene particles or using a more conductive liquid medium. Additionally, optimizing the dispersion process and using high-quality graphene can also help to lower the resistance. Surface modification of graphene particles can also improve the dispersion's conductivity.