How to apply Thevenin and Norton Model

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining Thevenin and Norton equivalents for two circuits. The first circuit is relatively simple and does not need to be redrawn. The second circuit has a motor in the middle and the person is seeking advice on how to approach it. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding basic principles for finding equivalent circuits.
SummerTime244
Hello guys,
I'm having some trouble reading two circuits :
Here they are :
IMG_20131009_234746.jpg

In the first one I need to Determine the Thevenin then the Norton Equivalent of the circuit.

For the second one I have to find expressions of the current I1 flowing through the R1 resistor, I2 in R2 and then I which goes through the Motor.

I only need an idea, or a way to re-draw the circuit differently in order to know what theorem to use : Kennelly, Millman, or just good old Kirchoff law.

Thank you very much in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't mean to sound unhelpful, but It's hard to imagine a circuit much more simple than fig 1.13 for finding the equivalent circuits. If you can't do that one, you should probably go back to studying the basics of just what the equivalent circuits are and how you get them. Certainly, the circuit does not need to be redrawn as it is already trivial.

I can't read the labels on the second figure so can't comment on that one.

Hello again,

I'm sorry to barge in but I'm just a beginner and I'm really trying to get a grasp on this.

Here's a draft of what I did for the first Circuit. You can click on the thumbnail to make it bigger.

I put in a better drawing for the second circuit, with a motor in the middle.

Could you please tell me if what I did is good, so far?

Thanks a lot !

I forgot to post the picture :
HYHgdat25t_AE7g_YBf_NCMf_Htf.jpg

I have no idea what you are doing but on the first one you are turning a very simple problem into something complex. Again, I urge you to go back to basics and study how it is that you are supposed to get an equivalent circuit. How are you supposed to treat a voltage source when solving for the Thevenin equivalent resistance ?

1. What is Thevenin and Norton Model?

Thevenin and Norton Model is a simplified circuit model used to analyze complex electrical networks. It involves replacing the entire network with an equivalent circuit consisting of a single voltage source and a single resistor, making it easier to calculate current and voltage in a specific part of the network.

2. How do I apply Thevenin and Norton Model?

To apply Thevenin and Norton Model, you need to follow these steps:

1. Find the open-circuit voltage (Voc) by removing the load resistor and calculating the voltage across its terminals.
  2. Find the short-circuit current (Isc) by connecting a wire across the load resistor and calculating the current flowing through it.
  3. Calculate the equivalent resistance (Req) by removing all voltage and current sources from the original circuit and calculating the resistance between the load terminals.
  4. Draw the simplified circuit with a voltage source of Voc, a resistor of Req, and a load resistor connected to the output terminals.
  5. Use Ohm's Law (V = IR) to calculate the voltage and current at the load resistor in the simplified circuit.

3. What are the benefits of using Thevenin and Norton Model?

Thevenin and Norton Model simplifies complex circuits and makes it easier to analyze and understand their behavior. It also helps in finding the maximum power transfer and determining the stability of the circuit.

4. Can Thevenin and Norton Model be applied to all types of circuits?

No, Thevenin and Norton Model can only be applied to linear circuits, meaning the relationship between current and voltage must follow Ohm's Law. Non-linear elements such as diodes, transistors, and amplifiers cannot be analyzed using this model.

5. Are Thevenin and Norton Model equivalent to each other?

Yes, Thevenin and Norton Model are equivalent to each other and can be used interchangeably. Both models yield the same results for voltage, current, and power calculations in a circuit.