What to do when you can't remember a formula for a word problem?

In summary, if you can't remember a specific formula for a word problem, you can try breaking down the problem into smaller parts and applying general formulas or principles. It's also possible to search online or consult a textbook for the formula. In most cases, it's best to use the formula provided in the word problem, but if you can find another accurate formula, you can use it. To remember formulas more easily, practice using them frequently, create flashcards or mnemonic devices, and understand the logic and concepts behind them. If you are still struggling to remember a formula, seek help from a teacher, tutor, or classmates. It's not necessary to memorize every single formula for word problems, as long as you understand the underlying concepts
Tyrion101
How do you reason it out? I get confused on problems that involve distance rate and time. What wording should I look for to tell me if s should be positive and the number should be negative or any variation in between? Should there never be a negative involving a DRT formula?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
what often works is just do math that makes the units work out right.

What should I do if I can't remember a formula for a word problem?

If you can't remember a specific formula for a word problem, try to break down the problem into smaller parts and see if you can apply any general formulas or principles. You can also try searching online or consulting a textbook for the formula.

Can I use a different formula than the one provided for a word problem?

In most cases, it is best to use the formula provided in the word problem as it is specifically tailored to the problem. However, if you can find a different formula that can also solve the problem accurately, you can use it.

How can I remember formulas more easily?

One way to remember formulas more easily is to practice using them frequently. You can also create flashcards or mnemonic devices to help you remember the formulas. Additionally, understanding the logic and concepts behind the formula can also make it easier to remember.

What should I do if I am still struggling to remember a formula?

If you are still struggling to remember a formula, you can try seeking help from a teacher, tutor, or classmates. They may be able to provide additional tips or explanations that can help you remember the formula.

Is it important to memorize formulas for word problems?

While it is helpful to have a general understanding of formulas, it is not necessary to memorize every single formula for word problems. As long as you understand the concepts and principles behind the formulas, you can apply them to solve problems effectively.