How do I plot a log log graph using this equations?

I have a plot of log (HdAm) vs log G and log (HgAh) vs log GIn summary, the conversation discusses plotting (HgAh) and (HdAm) as functions of G (gas flow rate) with lines of constant L (liquid flow rate) and determining M and P from the equations given. The speaker has collected raw data and is unsure of how to proceed. They are recommended to use the software gnuplot, but they also mention the possibility of using Excel. The speaker also expresses confusion about how to obtain M and P from the given equations by taking the log. They mention having a plot of log (HdAm) and log (HgAh) vs
davekardle
(HgAh)=ChG^mL^n
(HdAm)=CmG^pL^q

I need to plot (HgAh) and (HdAm) As Fuction of G( Gas flow rate) with lines of Constant L( Liquid flow rate) and discern M and P from the equations above from Log Log Graphs.

I have collected a table of raw data with Various G at constant L.

How do I proceed?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It depends on the software you have available.
I can recommend gnuplot. It's free, it's good, and it's a standard tool.

fuchs said:
It depends on the software you have available.
I can recommend gnuplot. It's free, it's good, and it's a standard tool.
Can't I just do it on excel ?
I don't undersntand how to get P and M from these equations by taking the log

log (hG aH) = log (Ch G^m L^n)

and

log ( hD aM) = log (Cm G^p L^q)

any idea?

I already have all the HdAm and HgAh for various Gas and Liquid flowrates

To plot a log log graph using these equations, you will first need to convert the equations into a logarithmic form. This can be done by taking the log of both sides of each equation. For example, for the first equation (HgAh)=ChG^mL^n, you can take the log on both sides to get log(HgAh) = log(ChG^mL^n). Using logarithm rules, this can be simplified to log(HgAh) = log(C) + m*log(G) + n*log(L). Similarly, you can take the log of the second equation to get log(HdAm) = log(CmG^pL^q) = log(Cm) + p*log(G) + q*log(L).

Once you have converted the equations into their logarithmic form, you can plot them on a log log graph. The x-axis will represent log(G) and the y-axis will represent log(HgAh) or log(HdAm). You can then plot the data points from your table on this graph and connect them with a line. This line will represent the constant L values.

To discern the values of m and p from the equations, you can use the slope of the line on the log log graph. The slope of the line will be equal to m or p. Similarly, you can discern the values of n and q by looking at the y-intercept of the line, which will be equal to log(C) or log(Cm).

In summary, to plot a log log graph using these equations, you will need to convert them into their logarithmic form, plot the data points on the graph and connect them with a line representing the constant L values. You can then use the slope and y-intercept of the line to discern the values of the variables in the equations.

1. How do I plot a log log graph using this equation?

To plot a log log graph using an equation, you first need to solve for the dependent variable (the variable on the y-axis) in terms of the independent variable (the variable on the x-axis). Then, take the logarithm of both sides of the equation and use the resulting equation to plot your points on the graph.

2. What is the purpose of using logarithms in a log log graph?

Logarithms are used in a log log graph to compress a wide range of values into a more manageable scale. This allows for easier visualization and comparison of data points that differ by orders of magnitude.

3. Do I need to use a specific type of graph paper to plot a log log graph?

Yes, you will need to use logarithmic graph paper, which has evenly spaced lines that represent equal intervals on a logarithmic scale. This type of graph paper can usually be found at office supply stores or can be printed out from online resources.

4. Can I plot a log log graph using software or online tools?

Yes, there are many software programs and online tools that allow you to plot log log graphs. These tools often have built-in functions for calculating logarithms and can save you time and effort in manually plotting the points.

5. How can I interpret the data on a log log graph?

The data on a log log graph can be interpreted by looking at the slope of the line. A steeper slope indicates a higher rate of change, while a flatter slope indicates a slower rate of change. Additionally, the distance between the points on the graph can give an idea of the magnitude of the change in the data.