Understanding Fermi Level in Silicon: Valence and Conduction Bands Explained

In summary, there are two energy levels in silicon, the valence and conduction band. The fermi level for undoped silicon is in the center of the band gap, meaning there is an equal concentration of holes and electrons. The band gap for silicon is 1.12eV. The fermi level for undoped silicon can be found using the equation E_f - E_i = kT ln\frac{n}{n_i} where E_f is the fermi level, E_i is the intrinsic energy level, k is Boltzmann's constant, T is temperature, n is the concentration of electrons or holes, and n_i is the intrinsic concentration. The width of the band gap is 1.12e
tot
what I've been told there is two groups of energy levels called the valence and the conduction band.

what is the fermi level for silicon?
how wide is the band gap for silicon?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if we are talking about intrinsic silicon (undoped silicon) then the fermi energy is directly in the center of the band gap. This means that the concentration of holes and electrons is equal. Doping the silicon will move the fermi energy towards the valence band or the conduction band depending on the doping.

The band gap for silicon is 1.12eV

[tex]E_f - E_i = kT ln\frac{n}{n_i}[/tex]

is 1.12eV the width of the band gap or the fermi level?
what is the fermi level for undoped silicon?

Last edited:
That is the width of the band gap as I stated in the last post. The fermi level for undoped silicon lies directly inbetween the conduction band and the valence band. I have also provided you with the equation that you need to find the fermi level.

i don't understand the equation. please explain how you find the fermi level

1. What is the Fermi level in silicon?

The Fermi level in silicon is a term used to describe the energy level at which there is a 50% probability of finding an electron in the conduction band. It is an important concept in understanding the behavior of electrons in semiconductors like silicon.

2. How does the Fermi level relate to the valence and conduction bands in silicon?

The Fermi level is located between the valence and conduction bands in silicon. It represents the highest energy level occupied by electrons at absolute zero temperature and is a key factor in determining the conductivity of a semiconductor material.

3. What factors can affect the position of the Fermi level in silicon?

The position of the Fermi level in silicon can be affected by several factors, including temperature, doping levels, and the presence of impurities or defects in the material. Changes in these factors can cause the Fermi level to shift, resulting in changes in the conductivity of the material.

4. How is the Fermi level determined in silicon?

The Fermi level in silicon can be determined using various experimental techniques, such as Hall effect measurements or capacitance-voltage measurements. It can also be calculated using mathematical models and equations that take into account the material's properties and environmental conditions.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding the Fermi level in silicon?

Understanding the Fermi level in silicon is crucial for the design and development of electronic devices, such as transistors, diodes, and solar cells. It allows scientists and engineers to control the conductivity of the material and tailor its properties for specific applications. In addition, knowledge of the Fermi level can also aid in the analysis and troubleshooting of semiconductor devices.