Is PF Back?

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
In summary: Zz.Welcome back! :tongue:Both web browser (Firefox and IE) on my computer are not showing the skin properly. Alot of line and borders are missing from the normal skin. Am I the only gettting this? It was fine when I logged in last night but everything went wrong this morning.Nope, you're not the only one. I'm getting that too.Strangely enough, this morning, I was viewing PF using Firefox but on the Mac Powerbook, and it looked fine. Now I'm at work on Windows using Firefox, and I'm getting what you are seeing.I'm on Windows XP, if it's of
PerennialII said:
Firefox in Linux & Unix skin ok, in Windows not. Hmmm - surprising :wink: .

skin messed in firefox+linux here. weird.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hootenanny said:
How long before we get our latex back? :D
I think we've already had. Just post some LaTeX code to test it, and don't be surprised if it shows up... :tongue:
-------------
Anyway, I have skin problems here as well. It's just plain gray, and I sort of dislike it.
And the font is weird, too. :frown: :cry: :cry: :cry:

VietDao29 said:
I think we've already had. Just post some LaTeX code to test it, and don't be surprised if it shows up... :tongue:
[tex]d\tau^2 = dt^2 - \frac{1}{c^2}(dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2)[/tex]

Edit: Nope! Not working yet on my machine. :mad:

Garth

[tex]d\tau^2 = dt^2 - \frac{1}{c^2}(dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2)[/tex]
Yes, somehow it does work here... :tongue:

we're so lucky...

I was at my friend's home studying for our tomorrow exam when we got the error message!Ah the annoying part is that it happened exactly when we posted our thread in HW forum.(it took ages to type the question and what we have done so far by using Latex.:cry:) It was so annoying that we decided to forget all about it and never post it again while we're sure we have this question in our exam! :frown:

Last edited:
[tex]\LaTeX[/tex]...

Doesn't appear to be working for me...

[tex]\vec{F}_{net} = m \vec{a}[/tex]

That works for me. But the skin is still messed up.

The skin is still weird here. At least it sounds like it's returning to normal for others, so it shouldn't be too long before it's restored. (It's really just part of Greg's plot to make everyone appreciate the skins he made...you don't know how good you have it until it's gone! :devil:)

And, yes, calling it a skin always sounds a bit creepy to me. :yuck:

Oh, and I don't think it's browser specific. I'm using Safari on a Mac and everything is weird looking here too (basically, most of the skin except the most basic elements, are missing...at least I can read and respond, but it's really rough on the eyes, especially figuring out where one post ends and the next begins).

On the up-side, everything seems to be loading very quickly without the skin. :biggrin: It's the latest version for all the complainers...PF Naked! :rofl:

Last edited:
Well things were going smoothly and of course I have to mess things up. First off the error everyone was getting was due to a plugin not having write access and I couldn't change it because I wasn't able to get to the new servers admincp due to some weird redirect problem that sent me back to the old server.

I am also seeing the messed up skin, if you are that means you are still seeing files on the old server. It will just take more time because I had to change the DNS IP again.

I may be wrong, but I don't think LaTex is supported in the PF Lounge forum. It should only work in the "scientific" forum. So testing it here may be moot. And yes, it's not working right now in those forums from what I can see.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
And yes, it's not working right now in those forums from what I can see.
It's working for me in those forums. But stuff I typed in yesterday still doesn't display. Strange!

Doc Al said:
It's working for me in those forums. But stuff I typed in yesterday still doesn't display. Strange!

Because yesterday you were on the old filesystem but using the new db. The latex files are stored in the file system. There will be a little bit of data loss.

Why you move it?, u like a challange or something :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
Because yesterday you were on the old filesystem but using the new db. The latex files are stored in the file system. There will be a little bit of data loss.

New latex posts aren't coming through for me. Anywhere. :cry:

(I never thought I would EVER cry because I couldn't use latex!)

-Dan

Got more of those errors in the early afternoon, and now it seems I can see again! The view of this place this morning was blinding me! Hopefully that means everything is back on the mend. Poor PF :frown: Give it a little bedrest and plenty of liquids, that should fix what ails it. :uhh: Maybe skip the liquids.

Looks like my skin finally cleared up! :smile:

Skin is fine, and everything seems normal again.

I did a quick check on the LaTeX thread in the HW Forums and I found that some recent LaTeX in recent posts, particular those posted by Apost8 today, are not showing properly.

I can see all of the old LaTex but none of the new (from yesterday onward).

I just tried LaTeX in a HW post and had problems.

Test [tex]\rho[/tex] tex

Test [itex]\omega[/itex] itex

Still problems at 1826 EST.

Latex should be functional again...

[itex]
\begin{gathered}
\varepsilon _x = \bar \varepsilon _x = \frac{{d^2 }}
{{12}}\left( {M^2 - 1} \right) \hfill \\
d = \sqrt {\frac{{12\bar \varepsilon _x }}
{{M^2 - 1}}} \hfill \\
M = \sqrt {\frac{{12\bar \varepsilon _x }}
{{d^2 }} + 1} \hfill \\
\end{gathered}
[/itex]

- Warren

chroot said:
Latex should be functional again...

[itex]
\begin{gathered}
\varepsilon _x = \bar \varepsilon _x = \frac{{d^2 }}
{{12}}\left( {M^2 - 1} \right) \hfill \\
d = \sqrt {\frac{{12\bar \varepsilon _x }}
{{M^2 - 1}}} \hfill \\
M = \sqrt {\frac{{12\bar \varepsilon _x }}
{{d^2 }} + 1} \hfill \\
\end{gathered}
[/itex]

- Warren
I can't see the LaTeX in chroot's post, but it shows up in my quote of it !

And my skin is still broken and the main page still gives an error message. Guess I just have to wait ?

There are going to be some issues until everyone's DNS points to the correct IP address. Namely, you might be using the old server, when the images exist on the new server.

You can use the url http://69.9.43.195/~physicsf/ to access physicsforums in the meantime, until your DNS is updated.

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, freaky. I can see the LaTeX in chroot's post but not in Gokul's quote of it. :rofl: @ the skin on Zz's end.

"Last Post" is behaving a bit oddly --- seems to be reflecting "current activity" by users. i.e., Russ is replying to his poll in P&WA, GD shows him as "Last Post" when looking at PF, but he ain't finished to show as "Last Post" when in GD and looking at P&WA, nor does he show in P&WA.

I'm also still getting ZZs error on the main page, and the site's formatting is completely broken in Opera.

edit: And in firefox

franznietzsche said:
I'm also still getting ZZs error on the main page, and the site's formatting is completely broken in Opera.

edit: And in firefox

try putting 69.9.43.195 into your browser

Gokul43201 said:
I can't see the LaTeX in chroot's post, but it shows up in my quote of it !

And my skin is still broken and the main page still gives an error message. Guess I just have to wait ?
:rofl: Like hrw, I can see the LaTeX in Warren's post, but not in Gokul's quote. :rofl:

Tried http://69.9.43.195/~physicsf/, but that didn't change anything.

[tex]\rho[/tex] now that works, but the LaTeX before the fix doesn't seem to work.

I can get back in! Phew! I was starting to see pink spiders. (I'd been getting that error message again for the past several hours!)

Greg Bernhardt said:

Works wonderfully doing that.

Greg Bernhardt said:
thanks, Greg!:smile:
I was about to get a eye strain but now everything looks fine.

honestrosewater said:
Oh, freaky. I can see the LaTeX in chroot's post but not in Gokul's quote of it. :rofl: @ the skin on Zz's end.
Exactly the same for me, I cannot read ZZ's or my own Latex posts in any Forum.

I am using the http://69.9.43.195/~physicsf/ website and I have tried both skins.

My browser is Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.110615.

Garth

<h2>1. Is PF back for good?</h2><p>It is unclear at this time if PF (Pink Floyd) is back for good. While the band has reunited for a few performances and collaborations in recent years, there are no current plans for a full reunion or tour.</p><h2>2. Who is currently a part of PF?</h2><p>The current members of PF include David Gilmour, Nick Mason, and Roger Waters. However, Richard Wright passed away in 2008 and is no longer a part of the band.</p><h2>3. Will PF release new music?</h2><p>There are no current plans for PF to release new music. However, individual members have released solo albums and collaborated on various projects since the band's last album in 2014.</p><h2>4. Are there any upcoming PF concerts or tours?</h2><p>As of now, there are no announced upcoming concerts or tours for PF. However, individual members have performed PF songs at their own concerts and collaborations.</p><h2>5. Can I still see PF live?</h2><p>While there are no current plans for a full PF reunion or tour, individual members have performed PF songs at their own concerts and collaborations. So, it is possible to see some members of PF live in concert.</p>

1. Is PF back for good?

It is unclear at this time if PF (Pink Floyd) is back for good. While the band has reunited for a few performances and collaborations in recent years, there are no current plans for a full reunion or tour.

2. Who is currently a part of PF?

The current members of PF include David Gilmour, Nick Mason, and Roger Waters. However, Richard Wright passed away in 2008 and is no longer a part of the band.

3. Will PF release new music?

There are no current plans for PF to release new music. However, individual members have released solo albums and collaborated on various projects since the band's last album in 2014.

4. Are there any upcoming PF concerts or tours?

As of now, there are no announced upcoming concerts or tours for PF. However, individual members have performed PF songs at their own concerts and collaborations.

5. Can I still see PF live?

While there are no current plans for a full PF reunion or tour, individual members have performed PF songs at their own concerts and collaborations. So, it is possible to see some members of PF live in concert.