Electric Field of Spherical Cavity with Q=1400C & R=10m

In summary: Then, using the equation E=kQ/r^2, you can calculate the electric field at point P for each sphere. Finally, subtracting the two electric fields will give you the correct answer. In summary, the problem involves a solid sphere with a uniform charge distribution and a spherical cavity cut out of it. The electric field at a point P, a distance r from the center of the sphere, is to be calculated. To do this, the volume charge density \rho can be used to find the charge on the smaller sphere, which is then used to calculate the electric field at point P for each sphere. The difference between the two electric fields will give the correct answer.
Swagger
A positive charge Q = 1400.00 C is uniformly distributed over the volume of a sphere of radius R = 10.00 m. Suppose a spherical cavity of radius R/2 is cut out of the solid sphere, the center of the cavity being a distance R/2 from the center of the original solid sphere (see figure). The cut-out material and its charge are discarded. What is the magnitude of the electric field produced by this new charge distribution at point P, a distance r = 24.50 m from the center of the original sphere?

(picture attached)

I have calculated the E-field of the point using the equation E=kQ/r^2. I first did this using the radius 24.5m. I then used the radius 24.5m-5m=19.5m. I then subtracted these two E-field calculations and get the wrong answer. E(r) - E(r-R/2)

What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• sphere.gif
    sphere.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 716
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see the attachments yet, but first of all remember that the electric field is a vector not a scalar. You need to take the directions into account. Then, the electric field given by E=kQ/r^2 is with respect to the center of the sphere in each case. So use the proper distances to the point P. Also, the charge enclosed by your two spheres are different.

Last edited:
I did. The charge in the center in postitive so the direction on the e-field is positive along the x-axis, right?

Did you account for the fact that the charge on each sphere is different?

I assumed they were the same sense it says "A positive charge is uniformly distributed over the volume of the sphere". If they are not, how do I find out the charges?

It says, the postive charge is uniformly distributed over the volume. So, the volume charge density [itex] \rho[/itex] is constant, and can be calculated.

From this, you can find the charge on the smaller sphere by multiplying by its volume.

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field of a spherical cavity with a charge of 1400C and a radius of 10m?

The formula for calculating the electric field of a spherical cavity is E = Q/4πε₀r², where Q is the charge, ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the center of the cavity. Plugging in the values given, the electric field is equal to 1400C/4π(8.85x10^-12)(10m)² = 1591.77 N/C.

2. How does the electric field change as the distance from the center of the cavity increases?

According to the formula E = Q/4πε₀r², the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the center of the cavity. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases.

3. What is the direction of the electric field inside the spherical cavity?

The direction of the electric field inside the spherical cavity is radially outward from the center of the cavity. This means that the electric field lines point away from the center in all directions.

4. How does the charge inside the cavity affect the electric field?

The charge inside the cavity does not affect the electric field outside of the cavity. This is because the electric field inside the cavity is equal to zero, and the charge inside does not contribute to the electric field outside.

5. Can the electric field inside the cavity be zero?

Yes, the electric field inside the cavity can be zero if the charge inside is also equal to zero. However, if there is a non-zero charge inside the cavity, the electric field will be non-zero at the surface of the cavity.