Gearbox Problems: Info, Theory, Ratios & Calc.

• Thread starter ecid
  • Start date
In summary, someone with a level of education equivalent to a diploma in electrotechnik should be able to answer questions about gears in a gearbox. Gearboxes are a complex subject and require specific questions to be answered.
ecid
Hallo all!

Anyone have any legitible info about gearbox? It's theory, it's ratio, it's calculation, everything about gearbox?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, ecid. I'm afraid that your post doesn't quite conform to the way we do things here. What you are essentially asking is for someone to write a very big book for you (illustrated, no less). Gearboxes are in fact an extremely complex subject. What you need to do is ask specific questions, one or two at a time, and we can deal with them as they arise. It would help if you tell us how much you know already, and what level of education you're at. :smile:

Gearbox

My mistake... :bugeye:

I need info about gear calculation in a gearbox, the ratio calculation, if I'm not mistaken, and just a simple n short theory of a gearbox, if it's possible.

Now I'm in my last year of my electrotechnik diplom study, I'm doing my final now, and i know null about gearbox, and unfortunately i occupied my self with it. :redface:

i've browsed it, but only found about gear, not it with the box.

oh yeah, I'm working on a 12V stepper motor with a gearbox.

so.. how is it?

I'm a bit confused about your problem. You say that you found 'gears', but not 'gearboxes'. That's all you need for calculation. A gearbox is just some gears... in a box. Your ratios work the same way: compare the number of teeth on each gear. The end result is the cumulative interaction. For instance, a gear with 100 teeth driving another with 50 gives a ratio of 2:1. If it's turning at 20 rpm, the driven gear will turn at 40... in the opposite direction. (The torque will essentially be cut in half as well.) Now say the second gear shares a shaft with another 100 tooth piece, which in turn drives another 50 tooth one. Since the ones on the same shaft are turning at the same speed, the final gear will be driven at 80 rpm, with approximately 1/4 of the original torque, and will be turning the same way as the first one. No matter how many gears there are in series, you just keep adding them up like that. The torque doesn't follow the exact ratio because of efficiency losses such as friction, but it's close.
The only other things to worry about in a boxed set of gears are heat control, lubrication, and shifting mechanism (if any).

okay... thanks a lot.. i think that's what i need...

1. What are the common signs of gearbox problems?

Some common signs of gearbox problems include difficulty shifting gears, grinding or whining noises, leaking transmission fluid, and a burning smell.

2. How can I diagnose a gearbox problem?

You can diagnose a gearbox problem by checking the transmission fluid levels and quality, looking for leaks, and performing a road test to see if there are any issues with shifting or noises.

3. What causes gearbox problems?

Gearbox problems can be caused by a variety of factors, including wear and tear, lack of maintenance, low transmission fluid levels, and mechanical failures.

4. Can gearbox problems be prevented?

While some gearbox problems are unavoidable, regular maintenance and proper driving habits can help prevent many issues. It's important to check and change transmission fluid regularly and avoid aggressive driving.

5. How do gear ratios affect gearbox performance?

Gear ratios play a crucial role in a gearbox's performance. They determine the speed and torque of the vehicle, and having the right gear ratio allows for smooth and efficient shifting.