Change in Kinetic energy and final speed

In summary, when a 41 kg box is pushed 4 m with a constant force of 121 N on a rough, horizontal floor with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.29, the work done by the applied force is 4.84×102 J, the increase in internal energy of the box and floor system due to friction is 4.67×102 J, the work done by the normal force on the block due to the floor is 0.00 J, the work done by the gravitation force on the block due to the Earth is 0.00 J, and the change in kinetic energy of the box is -4.66e2 J. The final speed of the box is 4
bearhug
A 41 kg box initially at rest is pushed 4 m along a rough, horizontal floor with a constant applied force of 121 N. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the floor is 0.29, find (a) the work done by the applied force
4.84×102 J
b) the increase in internal energy of the box + floor system due to friction 4.67×102 J
c) the work done by the normal force on the block due to the floor
0.00 J
d) the work done by the gravitation force on the block due to the Earth 0.00 J
e) the change in kinetic energy of the box
I have everything else figured out here I'm stuck. The change of kinetic energy I used the equation ΔK= -fk(d) which would equal -4.66e2 J but I'm not sure if there's another force that I need to add on. If there is where?

f) the final speed of the box: for this I orignally used W=1/2mvf^2- 1/2mvi^2 making it 484=1/2(41)vf^2 which would give a final velocity of 4.86m/s is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
b) 0 J - The floor experiences a similar friction force, but in the opposite direction. Although we know that both will heat up so this one I am not sure about.

e) The change in kinetic energy of the box is given by the work done by the resultant force acting on the box.

f) use the previous answer

Last edited:
For e) can you explain a little more than that? I'm not sure if I'm going in the right direction in solving that problem.

Lets come back to b) first. The work done by friction changes the internal energy of a system (the object heats up and therefore stores energy that could under certain circumstances do work). So the change in internal energy of a system due to a frictional force f acting on it over a distance d is given by

[tex]\Delta I = -fd[/tex]

This means that the internal energy change is positive due to a frictional force acing on the object. In this case the increase in the internal energy of the floor and the box comes from a decrease in in internal energy of whoever is pushing the box along the floor.

1. What is Kinetic Energy and how is it related to final speed?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. It is directly proportional to an object's mass and the square of its velocity. Therefore, as the final speed of an object increases, its kinetic energy also increases.

2. How does a change in kinetic energy affect the final speed of an object?

According to the Law of Conservation of Energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In the case of a change in kinetic energy, if there is no external force acting on the object, the change in kinetic energy will result in a change in final speed. This means that an increase in kinetic energy will result in an increase in final speed, and a decrease in kinetic energy will result in a decrease in final speed.

3. Can the final speed of an object change without a change in kinetic energy?

Yes, the final speed of an object can change without a change in kinetic energy if there is an external force acting on the object. This external force can either increase or decrease the object's speed without directly affecting its kinetic energy.

4. What factors can affect the change in kinetic energy and final speed of an object?

The change in kinetic energy and final speed of an object can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the initial speed of the object, and the external forces acting on the object. Additionally, the type of surface the object is traveling on, such as frictionless or rough surfaces, can also impact the change in kinetic energy and final speed.

5. How can we calculate the change in kinetic energy and final speed of an object?

The change in kinetic energy and final speed of an object can be calculated using the formula: ΔKE = ½ * m * (vf² - vi²), where ΔKE is the change in kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, vf is the final speed, and vi is the initial speed. This formula takes into account the mass and change in velocity of the object to determine the change in kinetic energy and final speed.