What is the Quotient Set for the Given Equivalence Relation?

• Thread starter Caldus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    quotient
In summary, the conversation is discussing the creation of a quotient set based on an equivalence relation acting on all integers (Z). The relation is defined as a ~ b if and only if 3a + b is a multiple of 4. The partition for this quotient set includes four elements, each containing a set of integers that are congruent mod 4. The conversation also briefly discusses another problem involving the equivalence relation a^2 - b^2 acting on Z (a ~ b), with a partition consisting of numbers that are multiples of 3 and numbers that are not multiples of 3. The accuracy of this conclusion is confirmed by the other person involved in the conversation.
Caldus
If I have an equivalence relation acting on all integers (Z): a ~ b if any only if 3a + b is a multiple of 4, then here is what I think the quotient set is:

The equivalence class of 0 = {x belongs to Z | x ~ 0} = {x | 3x = 4n for some integer n}. (The set would look like {0, 4, 8, 12, 16...}.)

The equivalence class of 1 = {x belongs to Z | x ~ 1} = {x | 3x + 1 = 4n for some integer n}. (The set would look like {1, 5, 9, 13, 17...}.)

The equivalence class of 2 = {x belongs to Z | x ~ 2} = {x | 3x + 2 = 4n for some integer n}. (The set would look like {2, 6, 10, 14, 18...}.)

The equivalence class of 3 = {x belongs to Z | x ~ 3} = {x | 3x + 3 = 4n for some integer n}. (The set would look like {3, 7, 11, 15, 19...}.)

So based on that, I conclude that there are 4 elements in the quotient set. Each element contains one of the sets above.

Am I accurate here? Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are correct. And did you notice that the equivalence classes are precisely the equivalence classes "mod 4"? Since 3 and 4 are relatively prime, If 3x is divisible by 4, then x is divisible by 4: if 3a and b are congruent mod 4, then so are a and b.

I just realized something. Don't I need to include negative numbers as well?

Nevermind, I already took care of them didn't I?

Also, for another problem: a^2 - b^2 acting on Z (a ~ b)...

Is the partition for this problem going to be split into two parts:
1. Numbers that are multiples of 3 (0, 3, 6, 9, 12...)
2. Numbers that are not multiples of 3 (1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8...)

(Also, is -3 considered a multiple of 3? I'm getting myself confused here...lol...)

Am I accurate again here?

Thank you for your help.

What, exactly, is the problem?
"a^2 - b^2 acting on Z (a ~ b)..." are you saying that a~b if and only if a^2- b^2= 0? Or are a and b the equivalence classes defined before?

In either case I don't see what being a multiple of 3 has to do with anything.

(And, yes, -3 is a multiple of 3. When you are including negative numbers, a is a multiple of b if and only if a= nb for some integer n.)

What is "Guessing the quotient of"?

"Guessing the quotient of" is a mathematical concept where one must estimate the result of a division problem without using a calculator or other tools.

Why is "Guessing the quotient of" important?

Estimating the quotient of a division problem allows us to quickly determine if our answer is reasonable and can help us catch any mistakes we may have made in our calculations.

How do you guess the quotient of a division problem?

To guess the quotient, you can use compatible numbers or round the dividend and divisor to the nearest tens, hundreds, or thousands place and perform the division in your head.

What are compatible numbers?

Compatible numbers are numbers that are easy to work with mentally, such as multiples of 10, 100, or 1000. They can be used to estimate the quotient of a division problem.

How accurate is "Guessing the quotient of" compared to using a calculator?

The accuracy of "Guessing the quotient of" will depend on the skill and accuracy of the person making the estimation. It may not be as precise as using a calculator, but it can give a good estimate that is close to the actual quotient.