Reversal of magnetic poles upon migration

In summary: DaveC426913,In summary, scientists don't believe that a sudden change in Earth's magnetic poles will have any major consequences for migrating species. They believe that the many reversals that have happened throughout Earth's history have not coincided with or caused extinction, and that even if the main dipole field were to collapse, animals would be able to use the residual fields for migration.
Loren Booda
Will a sudden change in the orientation of Earth's magnetic poles have catastrophic consequences for migrating species?

Biology news on Phys.org
1] They don't tend to be sudden.

2] Migrating species seem to have survived the reversals that have been happening every eon since the dawn of time.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7e/Geomagnetic_late_cenozoic-220x768px.png" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC426913,

You make two good points, but I do not understand the link you provided.

Animals in general have survived, but do migrating species particularly suffer? Are times required for species adaptation to magnetic pole reversals comparable (<,=,>) to the reversals themselves?

Interesting arguments toward the end of the article. For now, I'm sold. Here is the pertinent exerpt from the article Evo provided:
Indeed, the researchers I spoke with all thought that organisms would be able to adjust to an acute weakening or even complete reversal of the magnetic field. "My gut reaction is it's not going to have an impact," says Frank Paladino, the Indiana-Purdue University leatherback researcher whose project I was visiting that night in 1993.

History seems to back this up. There is no firm evidence that the many magnetic field reversals that have taken place throughout our planet's history (see When Compasses Point South) have coincided with or triggered extinctions. Reversals take hundreds if not thousands of years to complete, and because for anyone type of animal that represents hundreds or thousands of generations, species have time to accommodate to the change. Moreover, Kirschvink notes that even if the main dipole field were to collapse—an event that can last for up to 10,000 years during a reversal—residual fields 5 or 10 percent as strong as the main field would remain on the surface, and animals would be able to use those quite well for migration.
Let's hope.

Loren Booda said:
DaveC426913,

You make two good points, but I do not understand the link you provided.
Sorry, I posted it out of context.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_reversal" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the "reversal of magnetic poles upon migration"?

The reversal of magnetic poles upon migration is a natural phenomenon where the Earth's north and south magnetic poles switch positions. This means that the magnetic north pole becomes the magnetic south pole and vice versa.

2. How often do magnetic pole reversals occur?

Magnetic pole reversals occur on average every 200,000 to 300,000 years, although there is no exact pattern and the time between reversals can vary greatly.

3. How is the reversal of magnetic poles studied?

Scientists study the reversal of magnetic poles by analyzing the Earth's magnetic field recorded in rocks, sediments, and ancient artifacts. They also use satellite data and measurements from the Earth's magnetic field to track changes in the poles.

4. What causes the reversal of magnetic poles?

The exact cause of magnetic pole reversals is still unknown, but it is believed to be related to changes in the Earth's core. As the liquid iron in the Earth's outer core moves, it creates the magnetic field. Changes in the flow of this liquid iron can lead to a reversal of the poles.

5. How does the reversal of magnetic poles affect Earth and its inhabitants?

The reversal of magnetic poles does not have a direct impact on daily life, but it can affect animals that use the Earth's magnetic field for navigation, such as birds and sea turtles. It can also have an impact on navigation systems and satellite technology. However, the process of a pole reversal takes thousands of years, so these effects are not immediate.