Showing that the following isn't complete

• Thread starter Palindrom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complete
In summary, the conversation discusses the adequacy of the set {~,<->} and how one could show that it is not complete. The conversation also mentions finding an invariance among propositions built with these operators, but the speaker was unable to find one and is feeling frustrated. Another speaker suggests trying to prove that the operator -> cannot be expressed using only ~ and <->, and offers a potential proof method involving the even property. The conversation concludes with the original speaker thanking anyone who may have helped with this problem.
Palindrom
Let's have a look at [tex]\left\{ \neg,\equiv\right\}[/tex]. How could one show that this isn't complete?

I've tried finding some sort of invariance that propositions built with these might have, but I couldn't find anything... I'm going crazy! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
The set {~,<->} is inadequate.

Proof? You might try to prove that operator -> can't be expressed by any combination of the operators ~ and <->.

A start would be to show that the truth table for any proposition that is made up of 2 or more propositional
symbols and only the operators ~ and <-> must have an even number of ones and an even number of zeros in its last column (call it the even property). I think it's pretty clear this would have to be done by induction.

Then argue that since -> has the odd property it can't be expressed using only ~ and <->.

(The operator -> could be replaced by either V or &.)

Last edited:
Thanks, I did do this eventually, and just came back here now to thank anyone that might have answered.

So thanks!

What does it mean to show that something isn't complete?

To show that something isn't complete means to demonstrate that there are missing pieces or information that make the overall conclusion or idea inaccurate or insufficient.

Why is it important to show that something isn't complete?

It is important to show that something isn't complete because it allows for a more accurate understanding and evaluation of the subject matter. It also highlights the need for further research and investigation to fill in the missing pieces.

What methods can be used to show that something isn't complete?

There are various methods that can be used to show that something isn't complete, such as conducting additional experiments or studies, analyzing data from different perspectives, and seeking input from other experts in the field.

Can something be considered complete if it is shown to be incomplete?

No, if something is shown to be incomplete, it cannot be considered complete. The definition of completeness requires that all necessary parts or information are present, so any missing pieces would make it incomplete.

How can showing that something isn't complete benefit the scientific community?

Showing that something isn't complete can benefit the scientific community by promoting open and honest communication, encouraging further research and discovery, and ultimately leading to more accurate and reliable findings.