Abstract Algebra: Show E is a Group if Left Identity & Inverse Exist

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that if a semi-group E has a left identity and a left inverse for every element, then it is a group. The participants go through various attempts at proving it, discussing the definitions and properties of left inverses and left identities. Eventually, a proof is reached by showing that every left inverse is also a right inverse, and every left identity is also a right identity.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I am asked to show that if E is a semi-group and if

(i) there is a left identity in E
(ii) there is a left inverse to every element of E

then, E is a group.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I can't seem to find the solution, but it's very easy if one of the two "left" above is replaced by a "right". For instance, if we replace the existence of a left inverse condition by the existence of a right inverse, then we find that the left identity is also a right identity like so:

Let a,b be in E. Then ab=a(eb)=(ae)b ==> a=ae (by multiplying by bˉ¹ from the right). So e is a right identity also. Then it follows that every right inverse is also a left inverse:

aaˉ¹=e ==>(aaˉ¹)a=ea ==>a(aˉ¹a)=a ==> (aˉ¹a)=e.

So, does anyone know for a fact that this question contains or does not contain a typo?

Physics news on Phys.org
quasar987 said:
Let a,b be in E. Then ab=a(eb)=(ae)b ==> a=ae (by multiplying by bˉ¹ from the right). So e is a right identity also.

No, this only means that ae=ae. :frown:

Well, I can prove that all of the left inverses of e are, in fact, equal to e. So I'm making progress. :smile:

Also,

x * (left inverse of x) = (left identity)

I think that the group structure follows from these facts. So I have at least as much confidence in the original problem as I do that I didn't make a mistake. (I'm not saying how much confidence that is. :wink:)

I'm having problems with this as well, but then I'm tired. I would suggest though, that if you really think it's wrong that you start trying to construct a counterexample. If you can't construct a counterexample then the effort may teach you what you need to do.

Last edited:
I know that I've done this proof before, and as I recall you need to somehow use the two facts in conjuction, and remember that if y is the left inverse of x, then y also has a left inverse say z... I remember having to use this someow, but my efforts on this tonight are not going well.

Edit: With a fair amount of work I managed to prove that every left inverse is also a right inverse, and from that I think it follows a little more easily that the left identity is also a right identity.

Edit 2: It actually follows almost trivially from the fact that every left inverse is also a right inverse that the left identit is also the right identity.

Last edited:
Basically, I tried writing lots of expressions that could be simplified in multiple ways to derive new properties. For example, I first wondered how left inverses of the indentity (and their left inverses, etc) behaved, then I started worrying about how inverses of general elements behaved.

Incidentially, I did get started by searching for a counterexample; I decided to let 0 be the identity, 1 a left inverse of 0, 2 a left inverse of 1, and so forth, then I tried to compute how multiplication had to behave.

I think I got it. According to my calculation, the statement is true as stated. But since I'm not a mathematician and did in fact not even know the terms left-inverse and left-identity before tackling the problem (I found left-inverse in an algebra book, didn't find left-identity) I need some sanity-check:
I assumed the two conditions mean that:

[tex] \exists \, 1_L \in E : \forall a \in E : 1_L \, a = a[/tex] (i)
and
[tex] \forall \, a \in E: \, \exists \, a_L \in E: a_L \, a = 1_L [/tex] (ii).
Is this translation of the two conditions correct?

Last edited:
It is, though it is always preferable not to write things in logical forms like that since they are unnecessarily opaque.

i guess this is pretty easy:
i would go like this:

From knowing E is a semi group you have associativity!
And i know:

e*a=a , for e beeing a left identity!

and

a^-1 * a = e , a^-1 is left inverse

now i multiply a from the left and get:

a*a^(-1)*a = a

from using associativity i get:

(a*a^(-1))*a = a*(a^(-1)*a) = a (1)

hence by using both assumptions the first part of (1) implies that a*a^(-1) = e -> every left inverse is a right inverse if associativity holds!

the second part implies that while we assumes a^(-1)*a= e -> every left identity is a right identity.

QED

I don't completely understand what you said Mr. Brown. Most notably, I don't get the step
Mr.Brown said:

a*a^(-1)*a = a
which seems to imply that a*e=a.

Mr.Brown said:
i guess this is pretty easy:
i would go like this:

From knowing E is a semi group you have associativity!
And i know:

e*a=a , for e beeing a left identity!

and

a*a^(-1)*a = a

You went a little too fast. Multiplying from the left by a gives

a*a^(-1)*a = ae

but ae is not known to be a, for e is only a left identity.

Let me try something here. (Assuming the problem is stated correctly)

If I show that (aˉ¹)ˉ¹=a, then this will mean that e=(aˉ¹)ˉ¹(aˉ¹)=aaˉ¹, meaning left inverses are also right inverses.

Lets begin the random manipulations :)

(aˉ¹)ˉ¹(aˉ¹)=e ==>(aˉ¹)ˉ¹(aˉ¹)a=ea ==> (aˉ¹)ˉ¹e=a ==> aˉ¹(aˉ¹)ˉ¹e=aˉ¹a ==>aˉ¹(aˉ¹)ˉ¹e=e ==> aˉ¹(aˉ¹)ˉ¹=e ==> aˉ¹=((aˉ¹)ˉ¹)ˉ¹.

If every element can be seen as the left inverse of another, then I have succeeded. But is this implied? Gotta go.

quasar987 said:
[...]aˉ¹(aˉ¹)ˉ¹e=e ==> aˉ¹(aˉ¹)ˉ¹=e [...]
ae=a strikes back.
I don't think it's a good idea to label the left-inverse and left-identity [tex]a^{-1}[/tex] and e/1. That nomenclature imho cries for stupid mistakes caused by that you usually label real inverses and identities with these symbols. Might differ from person to person, but I did chose different names for exactly the reason that I screwed up too many steps otherwise.

Last edited:
quasar987 said:
aˉ¹(aˉ¹)ˉ¹e=e ==> aˉ¹(aˉ¹)ˉ¹=e
How'd you manage that? You have neither proven that e is a right identity, that e has a unique left inverse, or anything else I've noticed that would allow you to conclude that.

I accepted w/o proof that

Hurkyl said:
Well, I can prove that all of the left inverses of e are, in fact, equal to e.

:smile:

I was stuck trying to figure out this same problem recently. I looked it up online... I can't find the link right now.

But the trick is to first prove:

If x*x = x, then x = e, for any element x.

This is simple

x*x = x
x^-1 * x * x = x^-1 * x (left multiply both sides by x^-1)
e * x = e
x = e

Then you can show that every left inverse is a right inverse

x*x^-1
= x * (e * x^-1)
= x * (x^-1 * x) * x^-1 (write out e as x^-1*x)
= (x * x^-1) * (x * x^-1)

So using the previous solution we know that x * x^-1 = e, so the right inverse part is proven

So to prove e is a right identity:
x * e
= x * (x^-1 * x)
= (x * x^-1) * x
= e * x
= x

Then you can also prove that e is the unique left identity and unique right identity.

Cheers!

1. What is an identity element in abstract algebra?

In abstract algebra, an identity element is an element of a set that, when combined with any other element in the set using a specific operation, leaves the other element unchanged. In other words, the identity element acts as a neutral element in the set.

2. How do you show that a set is a group?

To show that a set is a group, you must prove that it satisfies the four group axioms: closure, associativity, identity, and inverse. This means that the set must be closed under the operation, the operation must be associative, there must be an identity element, and every element must have an inverse element within the set.

3. What does it mean for a set to be closed under an operation?

A set is closed under an operation if when any two elements in the set are combined using that operation, the result is also an element in the set. This is one of the four group axioms that must be satisfied for a set to be considered a group.

4. How do you prove the existence of a left identity element?

To prove the existence of a left identity element, you must show that there is an element in the set that, when combined with any other element in the set using a specific operation, leaves the other element unchanged. This is one of the four group axioms that must be satisfied for a set to be considered a group.

5. What is an inverse element in abstract algebra?

In abstract algebra, an inverse element is an element in a set that, when combined with another element using a specific operation, produces the identity element. In other words, the inverse element "undoes" the operation on the other element and brings it back to the neutral element in the set.