How many photons does it emit?

• Thread starter GravityGirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photons
In summary, the 1-kW radio transmitter operating at 880kHz emits approximately 8.8x10^18 photons per second, calculated using the equation E = hc/λ and Planck's constant h.
GravityGirl
a 1-kW raido transmitter operates at 880kHz. How many photons per second does it emit?

Power=work/time
Power=change in KE/time

f=1/T
T=1/880kHz

so 1 kw=change in KE/1.136x10^-6

change in KE=.00136 J

i don't know if i am doing this right. please point me in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
should i use the equation E(light)=hc/wavelength?

what is h in this equation?

should i use the equation E(light)=hc/wavelength?

what is h in this equation?

The energy of photon is:

[tex] E=h\nu = hc/\lambda[/tex], h is Planck's constant (6.6x10^-34 Js or 4.1x10^-15 eVs)

So everything that you should do is to divide the power of your transmitter (1 kW) with that energy E.

1. How is the number of photons emitted by a source measured?

The number of photons emitted by a source is typically measured using a device called a photometer. This device can detect and measure the intensity of light, which is directly proportional to the number of photons emitted.

2. Does the number of photons emitted by a source depend on its wavelength or frequency?

Yes, the number of photons emitted by a source is directly proportional to its wavelength or frequency. This is because the energy of a single photon is directly related to its wavelength or frequency.

3. Can the number of photons emitted by a source be changed?

Yes, the number of photons emitted by a source can be changed by altering the energy or intensity of the source. For example, increasing the intensity of a light source will result in more photons being emitted.

4. How does the number of photons emitted by a source affect its brightness?

The number of photons emitted by a source directly affects its brightness. The more photons emitted, the brighter the source will appear. This is because the human eye is sensitive to the intensity of light, which is determined by the number of photons.

5. Is the number of photons emitted by a source constant over time?

The number of photons emitted by a source can vary over time, depending on factors such as the source's energy source and environmental conditions. However, certain types of light sources, such as lasers, can emit a consistent number of photons due to their precise energy control.