Applications of Partial Derivatives-Cone

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of partial derivatives to finding the rate of change of volume for a cone that is growing in height and radius. The conversation also provides a solution to the problem by using the chain rule and substituting known values to find the rate of change at a specific time.
mit_hacker
[SOLVED] Applications of Partial Derivatives-Cone

Homework Statement

(Q) (Q) If a cone grows in height by dh/dt = 1 and in radius by dr/dt = 2, starting from zero, how fast is its volume growing at t =3?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

By applying the chain rule for partial derivatives, I obtained:

∂V/∂t=(2/3 πrh)(dr/dt)+(1/3 πr^2 )(dh/dt)
However, I do not know how to proceed from here on. Please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Your left hand side should be dV/dt, not partial V/partial t
2. If h increases 1 unit/sec. and r increases 2 units/sec., what would h be in 3 seconds? What would r be in 3 secs.?
3. Now that you know what h(3) and r(3) are, you can substitute those values along with dh/dt and dr/dt to find dV/dt.

!

Ahhhh! Why didn't I see it? It was such a simple thing. :frown:

Thanks a lot!

Sorry I forgot to mention in my last post. Thanks a lot for your help!

1. What is a cone and how is it related to partial derivatives?

A cone is a three-dimensional shape with a circular base and a curved surface that tapers to a point. It is related to partial derivatives because the slope of the surface of a cone can be described using partial derivatives, which measure the rate of change in one variable while holding all other variables constant.

2. What are some real-world applications of partial derivatives in cone?

Partial derivatives in cone have various real-world applications, such as in engineering and physics for analyzing the stability of structures, in economics for optimizing production processes, and in meteorology for understanding air flow patterns over mountains or buildings.

3. How are partial derivatives used to find the maximum or minimum volume of a cone?

To find the maximum or minimum volume of a cone, we can use partial derivatives to determine the critical points where the volume is either at its highest or lowest point. By setting the partial derivatives of the volume function to zero and solving for the variables, we can find the critical points and determine the optimal volume.

4. Can partial derivatives be used to calculate the surface area of a cone?

Yes, partial derivatives can be used to calculate the surface area of a cone. By taking the partial derivative of the surface area formula with respect to the variables, we can find the rate of change of the surface area and use it to calculate the surface area at a specific point on the cone's surface.

5. How can partial derivatives help in understanding the shape of a cone?

Partial derivatives can help in understanding the shape of a cone by providing information about the slope or rate of change of the cone's surface at different points. By analyzing the partial derivatives, we can determine the direction in which the cone's surface is changing and how quickly, giving us a better understanding of its overall shape.