Taylor series / 2nd deriv test

If f"(a) is positive, then a2 is positive. That means that, for a close to a, (x-a)2 is positive so that f(x) is larger than f(a). That is, f(x) is larger than f(a) for all x near enough to a. So f(a) is a minimum. If f"(a) is negative, then a2 is negative, so that f(x) is smaller than f(a) for all x near enough to a. So f(a) is a maximum.
jesuslovesu

Homework Statement

Use the Taylor series about x = a to verify the second derivative test for a max or min. Show if f'(a) = 0 then f''(a) > 0 implies a min point at x = a ... Hint for a min point you must show that f(x) > f(a) for all x near enough to a.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

f(x) = a0 + a1(x-a) + a2(x-a)^2 + ...
f'(x) = a1 + 2a2(x-a) + ...
f''(x) = 2a2

f'(a) = a1
if a1 = 0 then it's either a max or min
but I don't quite know what I should do to show that if f''(a) > 0 or < 0 that the point will be a max or min.
Should I do a limit?
[tex]\lim_{x \to a} a\right0 + a\right1 (x-a) + a\right2(x-a)^2 ... > a\right0 [/tex] ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
At x=a your Taylor series has no a1 term, since f'(a)=0. So your series is just f(a)+(f''(a)/2)*(x-a)^2+... You can ignore the higher order terms if x is 'near enough' to a.

jesuslovesu said:

Homework Statement

Use the Taylor series about x = a to verify the second derivative test for a max or min. Show if f'(a) = 0 then f''(a) > 0 implies a min point at x = a ... Hint for a min point you must show that f(x) > f(a) for all x near enough to a.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

f(x) = a0 + a1(x-a) + a2(x-a)^2 + ...
f'(x) = a1 + 2a2(x-a) + ...
f''(x) = 2a2

f'(a) = a1
if a1 = 0 then it's either a max or min
but I don't quite know what I should do to show that if f''(a) > 0 or < 0 that the point will be a max or min.
Should I do a limit?
[tex]\lim_{x \to a} a\right0 + a\right1 (x-a) + a\right2(x-a)^2 ... > a\right0 [/tex] ?
Yes, if a is a max or min for f(x), then f'(a)= 0. That means that the taylor's series for f(x) is [itex]a_0+ a_2(x- a)^2+[/itex] higher order terms. Close to a, (x-a)3[/sup is very small compared to (x-a)2 (if x- a= 0.001, (x-a)2= (0.001)2= 0.000001 and (x-a)3= (0.001)3= 0.000000001. (x-a)2 is 1000 times as large as (x-a)3). Ignoring higher power terms, f(x)= f(a)+ a_2(x-a)2. Of course, (x-a)2 is never negative and for x not equal to a is not 0. Whether f(x) is f(a)+ a positive number or f(x)= f(a)- a positive number depends entirely upon whether a2 is positive or negative-which in turn depends upon whether f"(a) is positive or negative.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms. It is used to approximate a function at a specific point by using the function's derivatives at that point.

2. How is a Taylor series calculated?

A Taylor series is calculated using the Taylor series formula, which involves taking derivatives of the function at a specific point and plugging them into the formula. The number of terms used in the series depends on the desired level of accuracy.

3. What is the purpose of the 2nd derivative test?

The 2nd derivative test is used to determine the nature of a critical point of a function, whether it is a maximum, minimum, or saddle point. It involves evaluating the sign of the second derivative at the critical point.

4. How do you use the 2nd derivative test to classify a critical point?

To use the 2nd derivative test, you first find the critical point of the function. Then, take the second derivative of the function and plug in the critical point. If the result is positive, the critical point is a minimum. If the result is negative, it is a maximum. If the result is zero, the test is inconclusive.

5. Can the Taylor series be used for all functions?

No, the Taylor series can only be used for functions that are infinitely differentiable, meaning that they have an infinite number of derivatives. If a function is not infinitely differentiable, the Taylor series will not accurately approximate the function.