Need recommendation: useful book about statistics?

In summary, the individual is seeking a book recommendation on statistics from a physicist's perspective. They want a book that covers topics such as maximum likelihood estimation, probability distributions, and using the Chi^2 distribution. They are open to books from other fields and suggest checking out CRC publications or books by Evans, Hastings, Peacock and Mood, Graybill, Boes. They also mention some online resources for statistics textbooks.
ozymandias
Hi,

I'm in need of a book recommendation :smile: .
As a practicing physicist I get to use some statistics now and then. I've been through all of the introductory probability courses and I can solve textbook problems (after scratching my head for a bit). The problem is, I've never really gotten comfortable around statistics. I always get the feeling my understanding of it is superficial.
I'm not looking for a heavy 4kg, 1000-pages tome, nor am I looking for some introductory book that will waste my time with its low signal-to-noise ratio. I was hoping for a book that would talk about statistics from a physicist's perspective: from maximum likelood estimation, to cool tricks you can do with probability distributions (such as estimating the electron's charge from current noise which can be modeled using a Poisson process), to things you should watch out for when using the Chi^2 distribution to estimate the "correctness" of your results. Something an experimentalist could put to good use. If the book would also have some "sexy" topics, such as Levy distributions/fat tails and so forth, that would be a plus, but not a necessity.
It doesn't have to be a physics book per-se. I don't care if the examples are from biology, or structural engineering, or genetics.
I'd really appreciate any suggestions you make :cool: .

Physics news on Phys.org
Check out CRC publications; they have near-exhaustive formulaic books on almost any technical subject.

Evans, Hastings, Peacock is a neat little book that describes probability distributions and relationships between them.

If you are looking for more intuition, though, I'll suggest Mood, Graybill, Boes.

Stat e-books include the following, but I am not personally familiar with these:
http://www.statsoft.com/textbook/stathome.html
http://davidmlane.com/hyperstat/
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Statistics
http://wiki.stat.ucla.edu/socr/index.php/EBook

Hi there,

As a fellow physicist, I completely understand your struggle with statistics. However, I have found "The Cartoon Guide to Statistics" by Larry Gonick to be a fun and informative read. It covers all the basics of statistics in a visual and easy-to-understand format. It also includes some advanced topics such as hypothesis testing and regression analysis. Plus, as a bonus, it includes some "sexy" topics like the Central Limit Theorem and the Normal Distribution. I highly recommend it for anyone looking to improve their understanding of statistics in a practical and enjoyable way.

Another book that may be of interest to you is "Data Analysis: A Bayesian Tutorial" by D. S. Sivia. This book takes a more mathematical approach to statistics and covers topics such as maximum likelihood estimation and Bayesian inference. It also includes real-world examples and exercises to help you apply the concepts.

I hope these recommendations help you in your search for a useful book on statistics. Happy reading!

1. What is a good introductory book for statistics?

One of the most highly recommended introductory books for statistics is "The Cartoon Guide to Statistics" by Larry Gonick and Woollcott Smith. It presents complex statistical concepts in an easy-to-understand and entertaining way through illustrations and humor.

2. What are some good books for learning advanced statistics?

Two popular books for advanced statistics are "The Art of Statistics" by David Spiegelhalter and "All of Statistics: A Concise Course in Statistical Inference" by Larry Wasserman. Both books cover a wide range of topics in advanced statistics and are highly praised for their clear explanations and examples.

3. Are there any books specifically for understanding statistics in a particular field?

Yes, there are many books that focus on statistics in specific fields such as psychology, economics, and biology. Some examples include "Statistics for Psychology" by Arthur Aron, "Statistics for Business and Economics" by David Anderson, and "Statistics for Biology and Health" by Richard Barker.

4. Is there a book that covers both statistics theory and practical applications?

A popular book that covers both theory and practical applications of statistics is "The Practice of Statistics" by Daren Starnes, Dan Yates, and David Moore. It includes real-world examples and exercises to help readers apply statistical concepts to their own data analysis projects.

5. Can you recommend a book for understanding data visualization and exploratory data analysis?

"The Visual Display of Quantitative Information" by Edward Tufte is a highly recommended book for understanding data visualization and exploratory data analysis. It covers principles of effective data visualization and provides examples and case studies to demonstrate these principles.