What is the solution to a 3rd order nonlinear ODE?

In summary, the conversation is about an ODE that has an analytic solution with three arbitrary constants. The solution is not simple and includes hypergeom functions. The solution can be seen in implicit form using Maple.
Max0526
Hi, everybody.
I have an ODE:
[tex]
y'''+2y''y-3y'^2=0
[/tex]
I know that it has an analytic solution, but I cannot get it (yet).
Can anybody help me?
(I don't need a full explanation how to solve it, just some hints or just the solution with 3 arbitrary constants).
Thanks beforehand,
Max.

Physics news on Phys.org
Max0526 said:
Hi, everybody.
I have an ODE:
[tex]
y'''+2y''y-3y'^2=0
[/tex]
Can anybody help me?
(I don't need a full explanation how to solve it, just some hints or just the solution with 3 arbitrary constants).
Thanks beforehand,
Max.

Three constants? That would be the case if the ODE was linear.

There is another problem here. The ODE is autonomous, and all functions of the form y=const. are solutions, plus the solutions cannot meet each other. So this ODE has only trivial solutions.

How about:
[tex]y = \frac{6}{x+a}[/tex]

How about ...you re right?
I mistakingly assumed that every solution has to meet the y axis.

Max0526 said:
Hi, everybody.
I have an ODE:
[tex]
y'''+2y''y-3y'^2=0
[/tex]
Can anybody help me?
Thanks beforehand,
Max.

You are right, this ODE has an analytic general solution, but it is not so simple and includes hypergeom functions and so on. To see the solution in implicit form use Maple with

ode:=diff(y(x),x,x,x)+2*diff(y(x),x,x)*y(x)-3*diff(y(x),x)^2=0;

ans:=dsolve(ode);

1. What is a 3rd order nonlinear ODE?

A 3rd order nonlinear ODE is a type of differential equation that involves a third derivative of an unknown function, and the function itself is nonlinear. This means that the equation cannot be simplified to a linear form and may have multiple solutions.

2. How is a 3rd order nonlinear ODE different from a 1st or 2nd order ODE?

A 1st order ODE involves only the first derivative of the unknown function, while a 2nd order ODE involves the second derivative. A 3rd order ODE, on the other hand, involves the third derivative of the function. Furthermore, a nonlinear ODE is more complex and may not have an exact solution like linear ODEs do.

3. What are some real-world applications of 3rd order nonlinear ODEs?

3rd order nonlinear ODEs are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model complex systems. For example, they can be used to describe the motion of a pendulum or the growth of a population with limited resources.

4. How can a 3rd order nonlinear ODE be solved?

Unlike linear ODEs, there is no general method for solving 3rd order nonlinear ODEs. However, there are various numerical methods that can be used to approximate solutions, such as the Runge-Kutta method or the shooting method.

5. What are the challenges in solving 3rd order nonlinear ODEs?

One of the main challenges in solving 3rd order nonlinear ODEs is that they do not have a general solution, so each equation must be approached individually. Additionally, the complexity of the equation can make it difficult to find an analytical solution, and numerical methods may be needed.