Calculating Cross Section: Is (1-\gamma^5) Same as (1-\gamma_5)?

In summary, the difference between \gamma^5 and \gamma_5 is that \gamma_5 is a scalar while \gamma^5 is a vector.
indigojoker
Is there a difference between [tex] (1-\gamma^5) [/tex] and [tex] (1-\gamma_5) [/tex] ? I see the two used interchangeably when calculating cross section.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using:

[tex]
\gamma^5 \equiv i \gamma^0 \gamma^1 \gamma^2 \gamma^3
[/tex]
and
[tex]
\gamma_{\mu} = \eta_{\mu \nu} \gamma^{\nu}
[/tex]

where [itex]\eta_{\mu \nu}[/itex] is the Minkowski metric.

Well, Perkins 3rd edition page 383 gives the amplitude using [tex]\gamma_5[/tex] while Halzen and Martin calculates the amplitude using [tex]\gamma^5[/tex] on equation 12.56
I'm not sure why they could be interchanged.

indigojoker said:
Well, Perkins 3rd edition page 383 gives the amplitude using [tex]\gamma_5[/tex] while Halzen and Martin calculates the amplitude using [tex]\gamma^5[/tex] on equation 12.56
I'm not sure why they could be interchanged.
You will not be able to find all answers to all questions in books. Try to do the calculation by yourself as indicated earlier, it is much more rewarding.

The "try the calculation" advice is good. You will see that every time that a covariant index occurs, a contravariant index also occurs, so when you contract them you get a scalar. Exactly which indices go up and which go down is a matter of convention.

Picking pieces out of different books - which may use different conventions - is a recipe for making errors.

indigojoker said:
Is there a difference between [tex] (1-\gamma^5) [/tex] and [tex] (1-\gamma_5) [/tex] ? I see the two used interchangeably when calculating cross section.

I have no idea what the other posters have in mind...

As far as I know, [tex] \gamma^5 [/tex] and [tex] \gamma_5 [/tex] are exactly the same thing. The 5 here is not a Lorentz index so there is no meaning to having it upstairs or downstairs.

for example, nachtmann (Elementary particle physics) defines

[tex] \gamma_5 = i \gamma^0 \gamma^1 \gamma^2 \gamma^3 [/tex]

Peskin defines [tex] \gamma^5[/tex] exactly the same way.

(But Donoghue et al have a minus sign in the definition)

An important point is that one may write gamma_5 as

[tex] \gamma_5 = \frac{i}{4!} ~\epsilon_{\mu \nu \rho \sigma} \gamma^\mu \gamma^\nu \gamma^\rho \gamma^\sigma [/tex]
which shows clearly that gamma_5 is a scalar. (well, a pseudoscalar to be more precise since it reverses sign under a reflection in space).

nrqed said:
An important point is that one may write gamma_5 as

[tex] \gamma_5 = \frac{i}{4!} ~\epsilon_{\mu \nu \rho \sigma} \gamma^\mu \gamma^\nu \gamma^\rho \gamma^\sigma [/tex]

It is really important definition if you use dimensional regularization (dimensionality of space-time is [tex]d[/tex]) where

[tex]\eta_{\mu \nu} \gamma^{ \mu } \gamma^{ \nu } = d[/tex]

1. What is the difference between (1-\gamma^5) and (1-\gamma_5)?

The difference between (1-\gamma^5) and (1-\gamma_5) lies in their mathematical representations. (1-\gamma^5) represents the projection operator for left-handed particles, while (1-\gamma_5) represents the projection operator for right-handed particles.

2. Can (1-\gamma^5) and (1-\gamma_5) be used interchangeably?

No, (1-\gamma^5) and (1-\gamma_5) cannot be used interchangeably. They have different mathematical representations and therefore have different physical meanings.

3. How do (1-\gamma^5) and (1-\gamma_5) affect cross section calculations?

(1-\gamma^5) and (1-\gamma_5) are used in cross section calculations to account for the spin of particles. (1-\gamma^5) accounts for the spin of left-handed particles, while (1-\gamma_5) accounts for the spin of right-handed particles.

4. Are there any situations where (1-\gamma^5) and (1-\gamma_5) give the same result?

Yes, in certain cases where the particles involved have equal left- and right-handed components, (1-\gamma^5) and (1-\gamma_5) may give the same result. However, this is not always the case and it is important to use the correct operator for the specific particles involved.

5. How do (1-\gamma^5) and (1-\gamma_5) relate to parity in particle physics?

(1-\gamma^5) and (1-\gamma_5) are related to parity in particle physics because they represent the projection operators for left- and right-handed particles, respectively. Parity is a fundamental symmetry in particle physics that describes the behavior of particles under spatial inversion, and these operators play a role in this symmetry.