DIRE NEED of HELP on HARDEST Physics Problem Ever

• Thread starter brendan3eb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the seniors put together a scavenger hunt that is supposed to take 24 hours consisting of various clues that will require juniors to use their athletic and intellectual abilities. The E&M students have been struggling for the last 30 minutes. I posted the page long problem as an attachment. Any physics gurus want to help save our class some face by solving it?
brendan3eb
Ok, so I am in the middle of what is known as the "axe hunt" at my school. It is the culminating event of the year. The seniors puts together a scavenger hunt that is supposed to take 24 hours consisting of various clues that will require juniors to use their athletic and intellectual abilities. Anyway, to the point - I am an AP mechanics student and the physics problems they gave us this year are E&M problems which I am completely unfamiliar with. The E&M students have been struggling for the last 30 minutes. I have posted the page long problem as an attachment. Any physics gurus want to help save our class some face by solving it?

If you get the answer feel free to call me at <cell number removed by cristo>; I will be checking the forums every 5 minutes. Once again, the problem is in the attachment

Attachments

• 2008-05-04-1655-35_edited.jpg
    2008-05-04-1655-35_edited.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 491
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you posted your image on some kind of image site I could give it a shot.

Or you could just look at the image here :wink:

http://spymaster1027.deviantart.com/art/Physics-84746563

Ok, the seniors just gave us the answer. I may be back with another problem later, but I think this it for now. the answer was .46 rad/s

I'm having trouble understanding the exact set up. The problem so far looks like it is just a bunch of chains to link: an RC circuit has a current flow through the ring, the ring creates an electric field, which then exerts a force onto the charge (the ball), which then starts moving and is acted upon by the lorentz force. Finally the ball crashes into the sphere.

As far as I can tell, the sphere won't have any angular velocity, and it simply gets a momentum kick from the ball. Are we missing any details about the electric properties of the sphere? Is it somehow polarized? Is it charged?

Obviously this problem could be very complicated if every consideration is taken into account: the current is not constant and electrostatics don't apply, and the electric field off axis is very complicated (this one was addressed though). How far did you guys get? You are technically supposed to post your work.

My class didn't get very far. I was disappointed, as I am taking AP Physics C: Mechanics, so I could not really help out as I haven't done E&M at all this year. It was pretty much up to Honors physics students who are currently studying capacitance. Anyway, I have a copy of the solution now that the event is over, I'll post it up as soon as I can get my hands on a scanner again.

We finished the axe hunt 2 minutes past the deadline, so there is quite a lot of tension&controversy on campus right now. I think we are the first class in 154 years not to finish the axe hunt by the deadline.

By the way, thanks for taking a look at the problem! I will post the solution as soon as I get a chance to.

You should have recruited university ringers. :p

1. What makes this physics problem the hardest ever?

The difficulty of a physics problem can depend on a variety of factors, such as the complexity of the concepts involved, the amount of mathematical calculations required, and the level of critical thinking and problem-solving skills needed. Without specific details about the problem, it is impossible to determine why it is considered the hardest ever.

2. How do I approach solving this problem?

The best way to approach any difficult physics problem is to break it down into smaller, manageable parts. Start by identifying the key concepts and equations involved, and then work through the problem step by step, making sure to show all of your calculations and explaining your reasoning. Don't be afraid to seek guidance from a teacher or mentor if needed.

3. Are there any tips or strategies for solving this problem?

One helpful strategy for solving difficult physics problems is to draw a diagram or visual representation of the problem, as this can often provide insights and help you visualize the concepts involved. Additionally, it can be beneficial to work backwards from the desired solution and consider any relevant formulas or principles that may apply.

4. How do I know if my solution is correct?

In physics, it is important to always double-check your work and make sure that your solution makes sense in the context of the problem. This can involve checking your units, using the correct number of significant figures, and verifying that your final answer is reasonable based on the given information. If you are unsure, it is always best to seek feedback from a knowledgeable source.

5. What resources are available to help me solve this problem?

There are many resources available to help with difficult physics problems, including textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups or tutoring sessions. Additionally, many physics problems have been solved and discussed on various forums and websites, so searching for similar problems or reaching out to the physics community can provide valuable insights and guidance.