Getting an old PLC onto Allen Bradley DH+

• Thread starter bluevires
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plc
In summary, the conversation discusses using a 1770-KF2 DH+ & Serial interface module to connect an old AB PLC-5/40 to an existing DH+ network for data communication. The concern is whether the module will act as a transparent intermediary and not require any special configuration, as it will be sending information to a 20-year-old legacy system. Despite searching through the Rockwell KF2 documentation, the solution remains unclear.
bluevires
Hey all,

I am trying to get an old AB PLC-5/40 onto an existing DH+ for data communication (both ways). The PLC does not support DH+ natively like SLCs but it is capable of serial communication.

I know that the 1770-KF2 DH+ & Serial interface module are used to bringing a computer into the DH+ network with a RS-232 connection. However, I am not sure if the 1770-KF2 will be capable of acting as if it is completely transparent on the DH+ and only exposes the PLC and not itself. Since I will be sending these information into a legacy system (20 years old?? ), I wanted to make sure it would not have to be configured differently from other nodes that are already on the DH+.

I looked through the Rockwell KF2 documentation twice now and havn't been able to find anything remotely similar. So this is my last resort.

Thanks all!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry, because of all the specific part number, and the jargon, we can't find anyone to answer your question.

1. How can I connect an old PLC to an Allen Bradley DH+ network?

In order to connect an old PLC to an Allen Bradley DH+ network, you will need a DH+ to Ethernet converter. This will allow you to establish communication between the old PLC and the network. You may also need to update the firmware on the old PLC to ensure compatibility with the converter.

2. What is the process for configuring an old PLC on an Allen Bradley DH+ network?

The process for configuring an old PLC on an Allen Bradley DH+ network involves setting the IP address, subnet mask, and gateway on the converter to match the network. You will also need to set the node address on the old PLC to match the node address on the DH+ network. Ensure that all devices are connected properly and that the network is powered on.

3. Can I use any DH+ to Ethernet converter to connect my old PLC to an Allen Bradley DH+ network?

No, it is important to use a converter that is compatible with both the old PLC and the Allen Bradley DH+ network. It is recommended to use converters from reputable manufacturers and to check for compatibility before purchasing.

4. What are the benefits of connecting an old PLC to an Allen Bradley DH+ network?

Connecting an old PLC to an Allen Bradley DH+ network allows for easier monitoring and control of the PLC. It also allows for integration with other devices on the network, such as HMI systems or data loggers. This can improve overall system efficiency and productivity.

5. Are there any potential challenges or issues when connecting an old PLC to an Allen Bradley DH+ network?

Some potential challenges or issues when connecting an old PLC to an Allen Bradley DH+ network include compatibility issues with the converter, outdated firmware on the old PLC, and network configuration errors. It is important to thoroughly research and plan the connection process to avoid these issues and ensure a successful integration.