Distinguish between p and n-type semiconductors?

In summary, the Hall Effect can be used to distinguish between p and n-type semiconductors by measuring the polarity of the Hall Voltage, which depends on the majority charge carriers present in the material. This can be achieved by connecting a voltmeter and observing the sign of the voltage.
islandguy
how can i use the hall effect to destinguish between p and n-type semiconductors?

i thank u in advance
kris

Physics news on Phys.org
islandguy said:
how can i use the hall effect to destinguish between p and n-type semiconductors?

i thank u in advance
kris

This question is difficult to answer without the use of figures, so look here:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/hall.html

Pay particular attention to the polarity of the hall voltage and how you connect the voltmeter.

Zz.

In particular, the polarity of the Hall Voltage depends on the sign of the majority charge carriers. eg: p-type => holes are majority charge carriers => positive charge.

1. What is the difference between p-type and n-type semiconductors?

P-type semiconductors have an excess of positively charged holes, while n-type semiconductors have an excess of negatively charged electrons.

2. How do p-type and n-type semiconductors behave differently?

P-type semiconductors conduct electricity by allowing holes to move through the material, while n-type semiconductors conduct electricity by allowing electrons to move through the material.

3. What causes a semiconductor to be p-type or n-type?

The addition of impurities, called dopants, creates p-type and n-type semiconductors. For p-type semiconductors, dopants with fewer valence electrons than the semiconductor material are added, while for n-type semiconductors, dopants with more valence electrons are added.

4. How do p-type and n-type semiconductors work together in electronic devices?

In electronic devices, p-type and n-type semiconductors are often used in conjunction with each other to create a p-n junction. This junction allows for the flow of electrons from n-type material to p-type material, creating a diode that can control the direction of electric current.

5. Are p-type and n-type semiconductors used for different purposes?

Yes, p-type and n-type semiconductors have different properties and are therefore used for different purposes in electronic devices. P-type semiconductors are often used in transistors and diodes, while n-type semiconductors are commonly used in solar cells and integrated circuits.