Difference between compressible and incompressible flow

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between compressible and incompressible flow, with incompressible flow being flow where the density remains constant along any streamline. The question of why combustion is treated as incompressible flow in Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) analysis is also brought up, with the possibility that it is due to the small pressure drop across the burner in a well-designed burner. However, it is noted that this treatment may not be accurate since combustion is a compressible substance.
mahaesh
Hi all
I am really confused with what is the actual meaning of compressible and incompressible flow?

Engineering news on Phys.org
In a nutshell: Does density of the media change significantly?

Hi tiny-tim
Thanks for your reply but i am confusing because combustion is a compressible flow due to variation in density but in Computational Fluid dynamics analysis combustion treated as incompressible flow Why?

I am not familiar with what exactly you are doing, but in a constant flow process, like in a jet engine, there is actually a very small pressure drop across the burner (in a well designed burner). I wonder if that doesn't have something to do with what you are looking at.

mahaesh said:
Hi tiny-tim
Thanks for your reply but i am confusing because combustion is a compressible flow due to variation in density but in Computational Fluid dynamics analysis combustion treated as incompressible flow Why?

I don't know why, since it obviously isn't an incompressible substance and I would assume any CFD model that assumed incompressible flow would be very inaccurate. The only exception would be if you are considering something like flame dispersion in the combustion chamber over a small period of time and are assuming the piston to have such small travel in that period that the change in volume can be neglected.

What is the definition of compressible flow?

Compressible flow is a type of fluid flow in which the density of the fluid changes significantly due to changes in pressure and temperature.

What is the definition of incompressible flow?

Incompressible flow is a type of fluid flow in which the density of the fluid remains constant regardless of changes in pressure and temperature.

What are the main differences between compressible and incompressible flow?

The main difference between compressible and incompressible flow is the change in density of the fluid. In compressible flow, the density changes significantly, while in incompressible flow, the density remains constant. Additionally, compressible flow is typically seen in gases, while incompressible flow is seen in liquids.

What are some real-world examples of compressible flow?

Some real-world examples of compressible flow include air flowing through a jet engine, gas flowing through a pipeline, and exhaust gases from a car's engine.

What are some real-world examples of incompressible flow?

Some real-world examples of incompressible flow include water flowing through a pipe, blood flowing through our veins, and oil flowing through a pipeline.