Linear Algebra - invertible matrix; determinants

In summary, the poster is asking for help in proving that a given matrix is invertible for any real numbers a, b, c. They have attempted to solve this by using cofactor expansion and have come up with the determinant of the matrix, which is always nonzero for any real numbers a, b, c. This proves that the matrix is indeed invertible.
lubricarret

Homework Statement

Prove that
[1 a b
-a 1 c
-b -c 1]
is invertible for any real numbers a,b,c

Homework Equations

A is invertible if and only if det[A] does not equal 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if I'm going about this in the correct way;
Would I prove this by solving for the determinant? I did this by cofactor expansion, and came up with:
(1+c^2) - a(-a+bc) + b(ac+b)
= a^2 + b^2 + c^2 + 1

Could I just say then, that the determinant could never be zero, since
a^2 + b^2 + c^2 + 1
will always be nonzero for any real numbers a,b,c?

If someone could just let me know if I did this correctly, or if there is more I need to show.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you got it completely right. :cool:
In fact you have shown that always det(A) > 1.

Thanks!

1. What is an invertible matrix?

An invertible matrix is a square matrix that has a unique solution for every system of linear equations. It can be inverted or reversed to find the solution to the system of equations.

2. How do you determine if a matrix is invertible?

A matrix is invertible if its determinant is non-zero. If the determinant is zero, the matrix is not invertible and does not have a unique solution for every system of linear equations.

3. What is a determinant and how is it calculated?

A determinant is a scalar value that is associated with a square matrix. It can be calculated by using various methods such as the cofactor expansion method or the row reduction method. The value of the determinant can give information about the matrix, such as whether it is invertible or not.

4. Can a non-square matrix be invertible?

No, a non-square matrix cannot be invertible. In order for a matrix to be invertible, it must be a square matrix with the same number of rows and columns.

5. Why is the concept of an invertible matrix important?

The concept of an invertible matrix is important because it allows us to solve systems of linear equations and find unique solutions. It is also used in various areas of mathematics and other fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.