Ages of Stars from CMD: The Accuracy of CMD vs. Photometry Explained

• Thread starter randa177
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the accuracy of obtaining ages of star clusters through color magnitude diagrams (CMDs) compared to photometry. It is noted that CMDs are considered more accurate due to their ability to provide information about the entire cluster rather than just individual stars. The process of obtaining ages from CMDs is also mentioned, which involves using photometry to determine the color index of stars and then plotting them on the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram, taking into account factors such as metallicity and mass.
randa177
why is getting the age from CMD more accurate than getting it from photometry?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I mean ages of start clusters!

Why no one answered my question? Does it make sense?
Why are we requiring color magnitude diagrams to get ages.. Why are they the best?

CMD isn't a very common abbreviation, most people would say HR diagram.
Do you mean - how to get the age of stars from a color magnitude (ie Hertzsprung–Russell) diagram?

mgb_phys said:
CMD isn't a very common abbreviation, most people would say HR diagram.
Do you mean - how to get the age of stars from a color magnitude (ie Hertzsprung–Russell) diagram?

Actually I am reading papers about large magelanic cloud, and it always mentions that getting the age using CMD (H-R diagram) is more accurate than using photometry. why CMDs give the only truly accurate ages for star clusters?

Not sure I understand the question. You use photometry to get the color index of the star. Then plotted on the HR diagram gives you the age (or at least the evolutionary state of the star) for an accurate age you would also need to know metalicity and mass.

mgb_phys said:
Not sure I understand the question. You use photometry to get the color index of the star. Then plotted on the HR diagram gives you the age (or at least the evolutionary state of the star) for an accurate age you would also need to know metalicity and mass.

Yes, that's right, but that uses the photometry of each star in the cluster, not the color/magnitude of the whole cluster, because the magnitude and integrated colors for a cluster as a whole doesn't give very accurate information... Oh, wait I think I've just answered my original question! ... i got confused too now!

Hi,
I just wanted to let you know that I was right about the reason CMD (HR diagram)give most accurate ages for stellar clusters.
But can anyone let me know HOW we get the ages from CMDs (H-R diagrams)?

What is a CMD and how is it used to determine the ages of stars?

A CMD, or color-magnitude diagram, is a plot of the color and brightness of stars. It is used to determine the ages of stars by comparing the location of individual stars on the diagram to theoretical models of stellar evolution. Younger stars tend to be bluer and brighter, while older stars are redder and fainter.

What factors can affect the accuracy of age determinations using CMDs?

The accuracy of age determinations using CMDs can be affected by a variety of factors. The precision of age measurements depends on the quality of the data, including the accuracy of the stellar distances and the completeness of the observed sample. Additionally, uncertainties in the physical properties of stars, such as their mass and composition, can also affect age estimates.

Can CMDs be used to determine the ages of all types of stars?

CMDs are most commonly used to determine the ages of main sequence stars, which are stars that are actively fusing hydrogen in their cores. However, they can also be used to estimate the ages of evolved stars, such as red giants and white dwarfs. These stars may have different evolutionary paths and therefore may have different locations on a CMD, but their ages can still be estimated using theoretical models.

How do new techniques and technologies improve the accuracy of age determinations using CMDs?

New techniques and technologies, such as high-resolution spectroscopy and precise photometric measurements, can greatly improve the accuracy of age determinations using CMDs. These advancements allow for more accurate measurements of stellar properties and can also provide more complete samples of stars, leading to more precise age estimates.

What are some limitations of using CMDs to determine the ages of stars?

While CMDs are a powerful tool for determining the ages of stars, they do have some limitations. For example, they are most effective for stars within our own Milky Way galaxy and may not be as accurate for stars in other galaxies. Additionally, some stars may be affected by factors such as binary companions or interactions with other stars, making it more difficult to accurately determine their ages using CMDs alone.