Fixing Stack Overflow Error at Line 96 in Internet Explorer

• Thread starter mathman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error
In summary: IE7 will depend upon which operating system they are running. Some are still running Windows 2000 (as is one of my PC's due to applications that don't run properly on my XP PC). FYI, I tried installing IE7 on my Windows 2000 PC a couple months ago (to see what would happen) and it won't allow the install of IE7 due to incorrect operating system.
mathman
Science Advisor
Recently I have been getting an error message while using Internet Explorer, as follows:

"stack overflow at line: 96"

It appears to be benign, but I would like to know what it means. What stack is overflowing?
What needs to be adjusted to avoid this message?

Computer science news on Phys.org
mathman said:
It appears to be benign, but I would like to know what it means. What stack is overflowing?
What needs to be adjusted to avoid this message?

The processor's stack. It's like a little scratch pad in memory that is used to store function call parameters, local variables and the return addresses for calls.

If it overflows, it's almost always due to a program bug. E.g. if a recursive function (one that calls itself) does so an uncontrolled number of times, it'll end up filling the stack with return addresses. It can't be fixed without fixing the software.

Best thing to do is to upgrade to Firefox, Opera or Chrome, if you can.

What verison of IE are you running? I am finding web developers are abandoning backward compatibility of browsers much faster nowadays. I used IE6 until most websites just wouldn't support it any longer and got errors like this.

No need to go to a different browser. Upgrade IE.

Ever done a Rubik's cube? The steps start off easy on the top and middle rows, but by the time you're working on the last row, the steps to change one cubie become ridiculously long - they become great sequences of repetitive steps strung together. That sequence is just like the stack in a progam.

Ever started the 47-step sequence to flip a single cubie, gotten half way through and forgotten where you were because you can only keep 46 steps in your head at once? Stack overflow.

It appears the problem was not as serious as I thought. I was told to get new versions of shockwave and flash video. Since then the problem has not recurred.

In passing, I have no idea why it got fixed this way.

DaveC426913 said:
What verison of IE are you running? I am finding web developers are abandoning backward compatibility of browsers much faster nowadays. I used IE6 until most websites just wouldn't support it any longer and got errors like this.

No need to go to a different browser. Upgrade IE.

Upgrading to IE7 will depend upon which operating system they are running. Some are still running Windows 2000 (as is one of my PC's due to applications that don't run properly on my XP PC). FYI, I tried installing IE7 on my Windows 2000 PC a couple months ago (to see what would happen) and it won't allow the install of IE7 due to incorrect operating system.

Per Microsoft's website (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926874), upgrading to IE7 is only possible if you're using the following Operating Systems:

System requirements

Internet Explorer 7 runs on any of the following operating systems:
• Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
• Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
• Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1)

I like Firefox myself, but Internet Explorer 8 (now in Beta 2) looks pretty nice. If you want to keep IE, I'd recommend trying it, beta notwithstanding.

To answer questions:

I am runnning IE7 with Windoes XP - also I have automatic updating, so I have the latest version of both. In practice I use Avant (which runs on top of IE7) rather than IE7. I also use Firefox. When IE7 first came out there were problems, so I will wait until IE8 is passed all beta testing and has been around a while.

As for my original problem, I was told (in some other forum) that the problem may have originated at the website I was looking at (Washington Post) and not my computer at all.

mathman said:
...I will wait until IE8 is passed all beta testing and has been around a while...
No point. By that time most websites won't support it anymore because they'll be supporting IE9.

IE 8 is so much better than IE 7 that I recommend upgrading now even if there are bugs (and I haven't found any, other than those also in IE 7). If you can't, or won't, then I recommend ditching IE entirely.

CRGreathouse said:
IE 8 is so much better than IE 7 that I recommend upgrading now even if there are bugs (and I haven't found any, other than those also in IE 7). If you can't, or won't, then I recommend ditching IE entirely.

While there are some newer features available in IE8, it doesn't run noticeably better or worse than IE7 on my PC. I've never had any issues with IE7 nor am I experiencing any issues with IE8 installed.

CRGreathouse said:

Recently (after it got into release) I tried IE8 and found it had a serious bug that was not present in IE7. It occurs when trying to access either of the following web sites.

http://www.newscientist.com/section/science-news or http://www.lohud.com/

The basic problem is that a few seconds after the web page comes up I get a message indicating that there is an error and IE has to close.

I got IE7 restored and things work OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
mathman said:
Recently (after it got into release) I tried IE8 and found it had a serious bug that was not present in IE7. It occurs when trying to access either of the following web sites.

http://www.newscientist.com/section/science-news or http://www.lohud.com/

The basic problem is that a few seconds after the web page comes up I get a message indicating that there is an error and IE has to close.

I got IE7 restored and things work OK.

As I stated, I have IE8 installed. I just now went to both of the websites that you stated IE8 gave you an error message on, but they worked perfectly for me. It appears it's something else on your computer causing the issue. Just thought you'd like to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may be right. I tried IE8 again and got a peculiar result. The lohud site worked fine but the newscientist still gave me the error message. Even more peculiar, the lohud site has a companion www.app.com which didn't work!

1. What is a Stack Overflow Error at Line 96 in Internet Explorer?

A Stack Overflow Error at Line 96 in Internet Explorer is an error that occurs when the call stack, which is a data structure that stores information about the active subroutines of a computer program, becomes too large and overflows. This can happen when there is a large number of nested functions or recursive calls.

2. What causes a Stack Overflow Error at Line 96 in Internet Explorer?

A Stack Overflow Error at Line 96 in Internet Explorer is typically caused by a programming mistake, such as an infinite loop or a function that calls itself repeatedly without an exit condition. It can also be caused by a lack of memory or resources to handle the large call stack.

3. How can I fix a Stack Overflow Error at Line 96 in Internet Explorer?

To fix a Stack Overflow Error at Line 96 in Internet Explorer, you will need to identify and fix the root cause of the error. This may involve reviewing your code for any errors or inefficiencies, optimizing memory usage, and ensuring that all functions have proper exit conditions. You may also need to increase the resources available to your program, such as memory or processing power.

4. Can a Stack Overflow Error at Line 96 in Internet Explorer cause data loss?

In most cases, a Stack Overflow Error at Line 96 in Internet Explorer will not cause data loss. However, if the error occurs during a critical operation or while handling important data, it is possible for data loss to occur. It is important to regularly save your work and back up important data to prevent any potential data loss.

5. Is there a way to prevent Stack Overflow Errors at Line 96 in Internet Explorer?

While it is not always possible to prevent Stack Overflow Errors at Line 96 in Internet Explorer, there are some steps you can take to reduce the likelihood of them occurring. This includes writing efficient and well-structured code, avoiding excessive recursion, and properly managing resources. Additionally, regularly testing and debugging your code can help identify and fix any potential issues before they result in a Stack Overflow Error.