Troubleshooting: Imaging Agarose Gel with Ethidium Bromide

In summary: It sounds like you are doing everything correctly, but the bands are faint because of the evaporation. You might consider running a smaller gel size so that you have more wells per gel.
MatthewHaas
Hi everyone,

I am running agarose gels (1.5%, 100 V, 100 min) with the product of PCR-RFLP.

My gel has 96 wells...48 on top and 48 on the bottom, so it is a rather large gel...300 ml by volume.

I am having trouble getting clear, bright bands for the DNA in the lanes near the edges. It is very faint. When I shift the gel in the UV box, so the edge is closer to the center, I can see the bands very clearly.

Do I need more EtBr to see this when the gel is in the position I want to photograph? I added 15 ul initially, but reuse the gels (per instruction) and out of fear for overloading the gel, I don't add EtBr each time even though I think it is being degraded when I microwave the gel to get it into a liquid again. When I do, it is on the order of 2-3 ul.

Biology news on Phys.org
It sounds like the lighting from your UV box isn't adequate for the size of the gels you are running.

I don't think it would be a problem with the EtBr staining itself, if when you shift the edges to center they are clearly visible. Is it possible to run smaller gels and then do your photography and give them a side by side? Or better yet, why are you using the gel size that you are?

I need to run 96 samples at a time, otherwise I would consider smaller.

I agree with bobze- it sounds like an optics problem, not a problem with the protocol. Not sure how you could easily modify the light box to increase the illumination area (alternatively, putting a central stop on the detector side and increasing the exposure time).

I run 96 samples on 100 ml gels. Do you really need the large gels or would you consider running smaller gels?

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses everyone.

I run 96 samples at a time because this is a population genetics project and the number of reactions that I am performing numbers in the thousands.

I've done quite a few more gels now, and some have bands clear as day on the edges. I am beginning to think that, where the bands are faint, evaporation occurred in the plates during PCR and/or restriction digestion (even though I use a plastic sticky sheet to prevent this from happening).

Sometimes, it is specific wells that I have trouble with-"repeat offenders", so to speak. For those of you who do 96 samples at a time, how do you make certain nothing evaporates? I am pressing all the edges down, making sure there are no air bubbles trapped inside.

1. What is ethidium bromide and why is it used in agarose gel imaging?

Ethidium bromide is a fluorescent dye commonly used in molecular biology to visualize DNA or RNA in agarose gel electrophoresis. It binds to the nucleic acids and emits a bright orange fluorescence under UV light, making it easy to detect and analyze DNA fragments.

2. Why is my ethidium bromide gel image not showing any bands?

There could be several reasons for this. First, make sure that you have added ethidium bromide to the gel and running buffer at the appropriate concentration. Also, check the UV light source to make sure it is working properly. Additionally, ensure that the gel has run for the appropriate amount of time and that the DNA or RNA fragments you are expecting to see are within the range of detection for ethidium bromide.

3. Can I use a different dye instead of ethidium bromide for agarose gel imaging?

Yes, there are other fluorescent dyes available for visualizing nucleic acids in agarose gels, such as SYBR Green or GelRed. However, each dye may have different detection limits and protocols, so it is important to carefully follow the manufacturer's instructions.

4. How can I take a picture of my ethidium bromide gel image for documentation?

To take a picture of your gel image, you can use a gel documentation system or a regular camera with a UV filter. It is important to handle the gel carefully and avoid any direct contact with the UV light source to prevent damage to the gel or potential exposure to UV radiation.

5. Is ethidium bromide harmful to handle?

Ethidium bromide is a potential mutagen and should be handled with caution. It is important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and a lab coat, when working with ethidium bromide. Any spills should be cleaned up immediately using an appropriate decontaminant solution and the waste should be disposed of properly according to laboratory safety protocols.