Man Changes Name to "They": Meet They Branson

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, a man from Branson, Missouri has changed his name to "They" in order to give a face to the anonymous references people often make. This news has sparked discussions about other people who have changed their names for humorous or political reasons. One example mentioned is a man who changed his name to "Yorkshire Bank Plc are Fascist B@st@rds" after being charged an overdraft fee.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
BRANSON, Mo. - A Branson man has put a face to the anonymous references people often make to "they" by changing his name to just that: "They."

...It's just They, no surname.[continued]

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=817&e=12&u=/ap/name_change

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Haha..reminds me of the National guardsman who legally changed his name to Optimus Prime

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_fullstory.asp?id=3828

I heard that on the radio... it's amazing what people will do to their life just for jokes.. ; )

Reminds me a litle of the Cosmogenesis paper where George Gamow insisted on adding Hans Bethe's name to the paper written by him (Gamow) and his graduate student, Ralph Alpher - just so it would read Alpher, Bethe, Gamow (like apha, beta, gamma ) :biggrin:

Well, since we're on the subject I change my legal name to Maximus Illuminati :D

This is my given name, what are you all talking about?

How about this for a good name change... :rofl:

After being charged £20 for a £10 overdraft, 30 year old Michael Howard of Leeds changed his name by deed poll to “Yorkshire Bank Plc are Fascist B@st@rds”. The Bank asked him to close his account, and Mr B@st@rds asked them to repay the 69p balance by cheque, made out in his new name.

What motivated someone to change their name to "They"?

The individual, now known as They Branson, has stated that they identify as genderqueer and desired a name that reflected their gender identity.

How does changing one's name to "They" affect legal documents and records?

Changing one's name to "They" may require updating legal documents and records such as driver's licenses, passports, and social security cards. This process may vary depending on the individual's location and local laws.

What challenges may arise from using "They" as a personal pronoun?

One potential challenge is the lack of societal acceptance and understanding of non-binary gender identities. This may result in individuals using incorrect pronouns or facing discrimination and prejudice.

Does changing one's name to "They" have any impact on their rights and protections as a citizen?

No, changing one's name to "They" does not affect an individual's rights and protections as a citizen. Everyone, regardless of their name or gender identity, is entitled to the same rights and protections under the law.

Are there any cultural or historical references to using "They" as a personal name?

While the use of "They" as a personal name is not common, there have been some historical and cultural references to individuals using it as a name. For example, in the 19th century, there was a Native American chief named They Are Afraid of Him.