Gravitational Force due to Earth, Moon, and Sun

In summary, the conversation involves calculating the magnitude of gravitational force between the Moon and a mass on the Earth's surface, as well as the ratio of this force to that due to the Sun. The formula used is F = G*M1*M2/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant (6.67E-11) and the units of all values must correspond for an accurate solution.
snb29
1. Homework Statement

Part One:
Calculate the magnitude of the gravitational force between the Moon and an m = 6.45 kg mass on the surface of the Earth nearest to the moon. The distance to the center of the Moon from the surface of the Earth is 3.76×105 km and the mass of the Moon is 7.36×1022 kg.

Part Two:
Calculate the ratio of the magnitude of the gravitational force between an m = 6.45 kg mass on the surface of the Earth due to the Sun to that due to the Moon. The mass of the Sun is 1.99×1030 kg and the distance from the center of the Sun to the surface of the Earth is 1.50×108 km.

2. Homework Equations :

F = G*M1*M2/r^2
G constant = 6.67E-11

3. The Attempt at a Solution :

For part A, I used the gravitation formula, and had this equation:

F = ((6.67E-11)(6.45)(7.36E22))/(e.76E5)^2

I keep getting my answer to be 223.97 N, but this is apparently incorrect?
I have not yet attempted part B, because I want to troubleshoot what I am doing wrong with Part A first. I have correctly answered previous, similar questions but this one has me stumped. Any and all advice is welcome.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The constant G has units. What are they? It is important that the units of all your values correspond, otherwise a power of ten (or two, or three...) could creep into spoil the party.

AHH! I feel like such a moron! thank you so much! I knew it had to be something silly!

1. What is gravitational force?

Gravitational force is a natural phenomenon that describes the attraction between two objects with mass. It is one of the four fundamental forces of nature and is responsible for keeping objects in orbit around larger bodies like the Earth, Moon, and Sun.

2. How is gravitational force calculated?

The strength of gravitational force between two objects is calculated using the formula F = (G * m1 * m2) / r^2, where G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. How does the Earth's gravitational force affect objects?

The Earth's gravitational force affects objects by pulling them towards its center. This is why objects fall towards the ground when dropped and why planets orbit around the Sun. The strength of the Earth's gravitational force also determines an object's weight.

4. How does the Moon's gravitational force affect the Earth and its tides?

The Moon's gravitational force affects the Earth and its tides by creating a bulge in the ocean on the side of the Earth closest to the Moon. This is due to the Moon's gravitational pull being stronger on the side of the Earth facing it. As the Earth rotates, this bulge creates high tides. The opposite side of the Earth experiences low tides due to the decrease in gravitational force.

5. How does the Sun's gravitational force compare to the Earth and Moon's gravitational force?

The Sun's gravitational force is much stronger than the Earth and Moon's gravitational force due to its larger mass. The Sun's gravitational force is responsible for keeping the planets in orbit around it and also plays a role in the Earth's climate and seasons.