Electrostatic Potential Concept

In summary: The force of gravity is constantly pulling it down, but if you hold the weight off the ground for a long time, the spring will eventually give up and the weight will be pulled down by the gravity.I do not know about v, that's why I was asking,but I surely know that the longer you expose anything to a force the greater is the KE acquired. Think about...a weight on a spring. The force of gravity is constantly pulling it down, but if you hold the weight off the ground for a long time, the spring will eventually give up and the weight will be pulled down by the gravity.
Good morning, formal.

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve here.

For the purposes of the definition of electric potential the universe comprises a single point charge and the vector field (E)surrounding it.

What do you know about curl(E) in relation to velocity or time?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am afraid that I have a really difficult time communicating with you.

(these words were the welcome to the forum) :smile:

Last edited:
Dadface said:
I think the main reason the OP got confused is that he assumed,incorrectly, that there was an implication that the work done in moving from A to B is independant of the route taken and the method used to do that work.The key point is that it is the work done on (or by) the field that is independant of the route taken and the method used to do that work.

I know my basics very well, that it is a conservative force :)

Delta² said:
the work done on the particle doesn't depend on its velocity )

That's exactly what I thought, too. Now, if you still think so, could you explain why
...the velocity of the charge must be vanishingly small?

Why can't we just fire a charge up a billion m/s (as dadface says) and measure E-PE?
Do you think EB is incorrect? can you improve or explain it?

THAT is what the thread is all about!

Last edited:
thebiggerbang said:
...it implies that at some point of time the applied force was more than the force due to the electric field, there was no equilibrium.
hi tBB,
(if this is not it) ..could you please quote the explanation given in your textbook?

Naty1 said:
1) It is important NOT to change the velocity .

2) If of opposite charge, negative work...negative potential results...
3)analogous to a (attractive) gravitational field where particles come closer together.

Hi Naty,
suppose we never change the velocity, but keep it steady at , say 20 cm/ sec, how would this v affect the measurement of PE?

2)if we assume a positive charge at the origin, we must move an electron from r= to infinity,right?
3) I assume a positive charge to make comparison betwwen gravitational vs Coulomb force easier.

<H2>What is electrostatic potential?</H2><p>Electrostatic potential is the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. It is a measure of the strength of the electric field at that point.</p><H2>How is electrostatic potential different from electric potential energy?</H2><p>Electric potential energy is the potential energy that a charged particle has due to its position in an electric field. Electrostatic potential, on the other hand, is the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in the electric field.</p><H2>What is the unit of measurement for electrostatic potential?</H2><p>The unit of measurement for electrostatic potential is volts (V). It is equivalent to joules per coulomb (J/C).</p><H2>How is electrostatic potential calculated?</H2><p>Electrostatic potential is calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the electrostatic potential, k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q is the charge of the particle, and r is the distance from the particle to the point where the potential is being measured.</p><H2>What is the significance of electrostatic potential in practical applications?</H2><p>Electrostatic potential is important in many practical applications, such as in the design of electronic devices, capacitors, and power systems. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as electrocardiograms and electroencephalograms, to measure the electrical activity of the heart and brain, respectively.</p>

What is electrostatic potential?

Electrostatic potential is the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. It is a measure of the strength of the electric field at that point.

How is electrostatic potential different from electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the potential energy that a charged particle has due to its position in an electric field. Electrostatic potential, on the other hand, is the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in the electric field.

What is the unit of measurement for electrostatic potential?

The unit of measurement for electrostatic potential is volts (V). It is equivalent to joules per coulomb (J/C).

How is electrostatic potential calculated?

Electrostatic potential is calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the electrostatic potential, k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q is the charge of the particle, and r is the distance from the particle to the point where the potential is being measured.

What is the significance of electrostatic potential in practical applications?

Electrostatic potential is important in many practical applications, such as in the design of electronic devices, capacitors, and power systems. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as electrocardiograms and electroencephalograms, to measure the electrical activity of the heart and brain, respectively.