Proof that micro black holes can't exist?

In summary: Next, you need to consider the case where the black hole has not moved at all. In that case, the energy and time uncertainties cancel each other out, and the black hole can only hold a finite amount of mass. Lastly, you need to take into account the case where the black hole is moving at relativistic speeds. In that case, the energy and time uncertainties are not cancelable out, and the black hole can hold an infinite amount of mass. In summary, the black hole cannot exist because it would exceed the Planck mass.
zeromodz
I was playing around with some equations and I found a reason why I think micro black holes cannot exist. This proof requires a few assumptions which I have tended to find to be a scientific consensus. They are the following.

1) The smallest mass a black hole can have is the Planck mass which by definition will give the schwarchilds radius of the black hole the Planck length.
2) The smallest meaningful increment of time in the universe is the Planck time.

Lets start with the uncertainty principle.

ΔXΔP <= h / 4π

This can also being written as.

ΔEΔT <= h / 4π
ΔE <= h / 4πΔT

This tells us that the amount of energy uncertainty created from the vacuum is inversely proportional to the time. Now let us change our units of energy to mass by dividing the equation by c^2

Mtotal <= h / 4πΔTc^2

The maximum amount of mass that can be created from nothing out of the uncertainty of the vacuum can now be written as the following.

Mtotal = h / 4π(Tplanck)c^2
Mtotal = (6.626 * 10^-34) / ((4π)(5.39 * 10^-44)(299792458)^2)
Mtotal = 1.088 * 10^-8 kg

The Planck mass is 2.17 * 10^-8 kg. So it turns out the maximum amount of mass that can be created from nothing for 10^-44 seconds is exactly half the Planck mass. Am I missing a factor of two anywhere? Or is it just Planck masses and micro black holes cannot be created from the uncertainty principle? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what if you have a black hole moving at relativistic speeds? (so E =/= mc^2) :P

I don't know quite enough about QM to comment about anything else...

n1person said:
Well, what if you have a black hole moving at relativistic speeds? (so E =/= mc^2) :P

Well, at least you tried.

n1person said:

You just go in the reference where it is at rest (which exist becausse [itex]M_{BH} > 0[/itex])

zeromodz said:
I was playing around with some equations and I found a reason why I think micro black holes cannot exist. This proof requires a few assumptions which I have tended to find to be a scientific consensus. They are the following.

1) The smallest mass a black hole can have is the Planck mass which by definition will give the schwarchilds radius of the black hole the Planck length.
2) The smallest meaningful increment of time in the universe is the Planck time.

Lets start with the uncertainty principle.

ΔXΔP <= h / 4π

This can also being written as.

ΔEΔT <= h / 4π
ΔE <= h / 4πΔT

This tells us that the amount of energy uncertainty created from the vacuum is inversely proportional to the time. Now let us change our units of energy to mass by dividing the equation by c^2

Mtotal <= h / 4πΔTc^2

The maximum amount of mass that can be created from nothing out of the uncertainty of the vacuum can now be written as the following.

Mtotal = h / 4π(Tplanck)c^2
Mtotal = (6.626 * 10^-34) / ((4π)(5.39 * 10^-44)(299792458)^2)
Mtotal = 1.088 * 10^-8 kg

The Planck mass is 2.17 * 10^-8 kg. So it turns out the maximum amount of mass that can be created from nothing for 10^-44 seconds is exactly half the Planck mass. Am I missing a factor of two anywhere? Or is it just Planck masses and micro black holes cannot be created from the uncertainty principle? Thanks
Well, first you need to reverse all the inequalities: It's [itex]\Delta X \Delta P \geq \hbar[/itex] and [itex]\Delta E \Delta t \geq \hbar[/itex].

Last edited:

1. Can micro black holes be created in particle accelerators like the Large Hadron Collider?

No, it is highly unlikely that micro black holes can be created in particle accelerators. The energy levels in these accelerators are not high enough to form a black hole, and even if they were, the black hole would evaporate almost immediately due to Hawking radiation.

2. How do we know that micro black holes don't exist naturally?

Based on current understanding of physics, it is highly improbable for micro black holes to form naturally. The conditions required for their formation, such as extreme density and energy, are not present in our universe.

3. What about the possibility of micro black holes being created during the Big Bang?

The theory of the Big Bang does not support the creation of micro black holes. The energy levels during the Big Bang were not high enough to form black holes, and even if they were, they would have evaporated quickly due to Hawking radiation.

4. Can micro black holes be used as a source of energy?

No, micro black holes are not a viable source of energy. The amount of energy required to create them is much greater than the energy they could potentially produce through Hawking radiation. Additionally, harnessing this energy would be extremely challenging and potentially dangerous.

5. Is it possible that our current understanding of black holes is wrong and micro black holes do exist?

While it is always possible that our understanding of black holes may evolve with new scientific discoveries, the current evidence and theories strongly suggest that micro black holes do not exist. Further research and evidence may shed more light on this topic in the future.