Solving Newton's Problem: 2 Masses Stacked on Each Other

• Thread starter Myronnie
  • Start date
In summary: The force F is pushing both block and incline to the left, so both are accelerated in the same direction: to the right.
Myronnie

Homework Statement

Ok, so I know how to solve ALL the other types of Newton problems that have been thrown at us. I can't understand conceptually when two masses are stacked on each other..I've tried to google it relentlessly and am going into my prof's office hours.

The surfaces between the 10kg block and 20kg incline are frictionless.
What is the force that has to be exerted on the incline so the 10kg block does not move up or down (aka is in equilibrium). The force is directed so that the incline is pushed to the left.
The problem is attached...
I've tried making free-body diagrams but to no avail - I just don't understand what forces exist in the free body diagrams! Is the force applied to the incline in two components relative to the block? I'm just so confused...

Homework Equations

Newton's third law

The Attempt at a Solution

Eh...many pages of useless scribble..

Attachments

• physics.jpg
    physics.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 471
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a hint or two to get you going. Concentrate on the block. What forces act on it? See if you can figure out what acceleration it must have in order not to slide down the incline.

Forces acting on the block - Normal force, Weight in two components (mgsintheta, mgcostheta), Contact force between incline and block ?

Myronnie said:
Forces acting on the block - Normal force, Weight in two components (mgsintheta, mgcostheta), Contact force between incline and block ?
The contact force between incline and block is the normal force. So only two forces act on the block: its weight and the normal force from the incline.

Now apply Newton's 2nd law. Which direction is the block being accelerated?

the block is being accelerated to the right opposite the horizontal component of weight (mgsintheta)..but the incline is being accelerated to the left by the force? I'm still lost =.=

Myronnie said:
the block is being accelerated to the right opposite the horizontal component of weight (mgsintheta)..but the incline is being accelerated to the left by the force? I'm still lost =.=
If the force F is pushing both block and incline to the left, what direction are both accelerated?

1. What is Newton's Problem: 2 Masses Stacked on Each Other?

Newton's Problem: 2 Masses Stacked on Each Other is a physics problem that involves two masses stacked on top of each other and connected by a string. The problem requires finding the tension in the string and the acceleration of the masses.

2. What is the formula for solving Newton's Problem: 2 Masses Stacked on Each Other?

The formula for solving Newton's Problem: 2 Masses Stacked on Each Other is T = (m1 + m2) * a, where T is the tension in the string, m1 and m2 are the masses, and a is the acceleration.

3. How do you determine the direction of the tension in Newton's Problem: 2 Masses Stacked on Each Other?

The direction of the tension in Newton's Problem: 2 Masses Stacked on Each Other can be determined by looking at the direction of the acceleration. The tension will always act in the opposite direction of the acceleration.

4. What are the units for the variables in the formula for solving Newton's Problem: 2 Masses Stacked on Each Other?

The units for the variables in the formula for solving Newton's Problem: 2 Masses Stacked on Each Other are as follows: T (tension) is measured in Newtons (N), m1 and m2 (masses) are measured in kilograms (kg), and a (acceleration) is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

5. How does the angle of the string affect the solution to Newton's Problem: 2 Masses Stacked on Each Other?

The angle of the string has no effect on the solution to Newton's Problem: 2 Masses Stacked on Each Other as long as the string remains taut. The tension and acceleration will remain the same regardless of the angle of the string.