Crate being pulled at angle, find tension

In summary, a person on a physics forum is asking for help with a problem regarding a warehouse employee pulling a wooden crate at a constant velocity. The crate is tilted at 25° above the horizontal and the strap used to pull it is inclined at 61° above the horizontal. The person is unsure of how to solve the problem and asks for help with determining the magnitude of the tension in the strap. They provide some equations and calculations they have attempted, but are unsure if they are correct or if torque needs to be considered. Another person responds, explaining that torque must be taken into account and provides guidance on how to calculate it.
physicsdreams
Hello,

I'm new to physics forums, so excuse me ahead of time if something is wrong.

Homework Statement

A warehouse employee drags a 72 kg wooden crate across the floor at a constant velocity by pulling on a strap attached to the bottom of the box. The crate is tiled 25° above the horizontal, and the strap is inclined 61° above the horizontal. The center of gravity of the box coincides with its geometrical center, as indicated in the drawing. Find the magnitude of the tension in the strap.

The dimensions of the crate are .4m by .9m.
The .9m length is the side that is 25 degrees above the horizon.

Homework Equations

F(weight)=mg

T=rsin(theta)F?

The Attempt at a Solution

Its weight is 705.6N

705.6Ntan(25)=329.02N which is the force pulling the crate

this would translate into the x component of the tension.

329.02N/cos(61)= 678.65N

I'm not sure if/how to use torque or if torque affects the system at all.
I'm pretty sure that this problem isn't as simple as I made it out to be.
Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
physicsdreams said:
Its weight is 705.6N

705.6Ntan(25)=329.02N which is the force pulling the crate

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

~[snip]~
I'm not sure if/how to use torque or if torque affects the system at all.
I'm pretty sure that this problem isn't as simple as I made it out to be.
Thanks for your help!

Yes, you'll need to use torques in order to determine the component of the tension that's keeping the crate's end suspended above the floor. The crate is pivoting along the bottom edge where it touches the floor. Find the torques due to the strap tension at the raised end of the box and due to gravity acting through the center of mass.

1. What is the definition of tension?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a rope, cable, or other similar object when it is pulled tight by forces acting in opposite directions.

2. How do you calculate tension in a rope or cable?

Tension can be calculated using the equation T = mg + ma, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the object.

3. What is the relationship between the angle and tension in a rope?

The tension in a rope is directly proportional to the angle at which it is being pulled. This means that as the angle increases, the tension also increases.

4. How does the weight of the crate affect the tension in the rope?

The weight of the crate affects the tension in the rope by adding to the overall force that is pulling on the rope. The heavier the crate, the more tension is required to keep it suspended at an angle.

5. What factors can affect the tension in a rope?

Several factors can affect the tension in a rope, including the weight of the object, the angle at which the rope is being pulled, the material and thickness of the rope, and any external forces acting on the rope.