Remove temperature from welded copper piece

In summary: A copper piece that size would be about 0.2 mm thick, so it would be a very thin sheet. I can't help you with the chill characteristics of the weld, since I don't know about that. I would guess that it would be fine to cool it rapidly, but I can't say for sure. In summary, heat transfer from welded copper piece is problematic because of the rapid cooling required.
joop12
heat transfer from welded copper piece

Hello everybody,

I am designing a machine where i have a welded copper piece which i have to cool it from 800 c to 100 c
i m using normal flow water.please guide me how much water , flow rate, and pressure do i need.I have maximum 40 sec to bring it 100 c temp.in order to select water pump and tank.
Data:
40 sec
size of copper piece: LxBxW : 8 x 20 x 120
cooling : from 800 c to 100 c

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Joop.
I probably can't help you at all, being uneducated, but a couple of parameters seem to be missing from your scenario. The first of those is what units you are using. You say that the pipe is 8 x 20 x 120, but you don't say whether that is mm's, cm's, inches, metres, miles... I rule out lightyears because you wouldn't have had time to build it.
People familiar with the subject might already know, but I personally would have to ask about the chill characteristics of the weld. Some don't handle rapid cooling very well.
Please believe that I'm not putting you down; I just think that you have to provide more information before a reasonable analysis can be made.

Danger said:
... You say that the pipe is 8 x 20 x 120 ...
Actually, it just says "welded copper piece". It could be a finned heat-sink, or even a solid block of copper.

Is it just a piece of copper coming out of a furnace, or is it connected to some additional piece of equipment? Are you planning to flow coolant (I doubt water will help much at 800° C) through the piece, or just spray it in open air? We also need the ambient temperature and the coolant/water temperature.

sorry i forgot to mention size..it is in (mm).basicaly i am wraping 41 times the copper band which is 0.2mm thin around a plate.then i would weld them after welding i have to cool this to 100 c from 800 c for further opertaions.I would use normal water to flow at 20 C .in order to select water tank and pump sizing I need water flow rate, pressure. and moreover working temerature range of room also should be around 40 c.Please guide me and give me formulas

Danger said:
Welcome to PF, Joop.
I probably can't help you at all, being uneducated, but a couple of parameters seem to be missing from your scenario. The first of those is what units you are using. You say that the pipe is 8 x 20 x 120, but you don't say whether that is mm's, cm's, inches, metres, miles... I rule out lightyears because you wouldn't have had time to build it.
People familiar with the subject might already know, but I personally would have to ask about the chill characteristics of the weld. Some don't handle rapid cooling very well.
Please believe that I'm not putting you down; I just think that you have to provide more information before a reasonable analysis can be made.

sorry i forgot to mention size..it is in (mm).basicaly i am wraping 41 times the copper band which is 0.2mm thin around a plate.then i would weld them after welding i have to cool this to 100 c from 800 c for further opertaions.I would use normal water to flow at 20 C .in order to select water tank and pump sizing I need water flow rate, pressure. and moreover working temerature range of room also should be around 40 c.Please guide me and give me formulas

pantaz said:
Actually, it just says "welded copper piece". It could be a finned heat-sink, or even a solid block of copper.

Good catch. I'm not sure where the idea of a pipe came from, unless perhaps because of the mention of water flow. My mind is easily derailed.

1. How do you remove temperature from a welded copper piece?

The most effective method for removing temperature from a welded copper piece is to let it cool naturally at room temperature. This can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours depending on the size and thickness of the piece.

2. What if the copper piece needs to cool down quickly?

If the copper piece needs to cool down quickly, it can be placed in a container of cold water or submerged in a bucket of ice. This will speed up the cooling process, but it is important to monitor the temperature to avoid cracking or warping of the piece.

3. Can I use a fan or other cooling equipment to remove temperature from the welded copper piece?

While using a fan or other cooling equipment may seem like a good idea, it is not recommended for removing temperature from a welded copper piece. These methods can cause uneven cooling and may result in cracking or warping of the piece.

4. How can I prevent the copper piece from overheating during the welding process?

To prevent overheating during the welding process, it is important to use the correct welding technique and to monitor the temperature of the piece. You can also use heat sinks or heat-resistant materials to protect the surrounding areas of the piece from excessive heat.

5. Is there a maximum temperature that a welded copper piece can withstand?

The maximum temperature that a welded copper piece can withstand depends on the type of copper and the welding method used. Generally, pure copper can withstand temperatures up to 1,000°C (1,832°F), while copper alloys may have lower maximum temperature limits. It is important to consult with a professional or refer to the manufacturer's guidelines to determine the specific maximum temperature for your welded copper piece.