Electric vs gravitational force

In summary, Weinberg explains that if the Earth and sun had an excess of positive over negative charges (or vice versa) of only one part in 10^36, the electrical repulsion between them would be greater than their gravitational attraction. This imbalance would manifest itself in the real world in the form of the sun being held in perfect equilibrium despite having the potential to explode due to the pressure of nuclear fusion.
g.lemaitre
In the First Three Minutes Weinberg wrote:

If the Earth and the sun had an excess of positive over negative charges (or vice versa) of only one part in (10^36), the electrical repulsion between them would be greater than their gravitational attraction.
How would that imbalance actually manifest itself in the real world? Does that mean that if for every 10^36 protons the sun had 10^36 + 1 electrons and if the Earth for every 10^36 electrons had 10^36 + 1 protons, then that would knock the Earth out of orbit? At first glance it seems ridiculous but considering the fact that the Earth has 10^50 protons that means that the Earth would have, I think, 10^14 extra protons than electrons, but even 10^14 electrons is hardly a lot considering that a mole is 10^23. My math must be off somehow.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think Weinberg must have omitted a square root in his calculation. I get a ratio of about 10^18, not 10^36.

No, I've seen that figure quotes about 20 times, sometimes I see it quoted as 10^36 times stronger, other times 10^40 times stronger. Here's one link

electricuniversetheory.com

Try it yourself. Calculate the gravitational force between the sun and earth. Then calculate the electric force assuming a surplus of protons of 10-36 times the actual number on the sun and earth, and the electric force assuming a proton surplus of 10-18. Which one is closer?

For a more precise value, use 8.998 x 10-19 for the "surplus proton" ratio.

Last edited:
the issue is, that two protons alone in free space will have a [itex]1/r^2[/itex] gravitational force that is attractive and another [itex]1/r^2[/itex] electrostatic force that is repulsive. since they are both [itex]1/r^2[/itex], it doesn't matter what distance the protons are from each other (at least in this classical setting). so which force is stronger? the attractive gravitational force (that depends on the masses of the two protons) or the repulsive electrostatic force (that depends on the charges of the two protons)? and by how much?

rbj said:
the issue is, that two protons alone in free space will have a [itex]1/r^2[/itex] gravitational force that is attractive and another [itex]1/r^2[/itex] electrostatic force that is repulsive. since they are both [itex]1/r^2[/itex], it doesn't matter what distance the protons are from each other (at least in this classical setting). so which force is stronger? the attractive gravitational force (that depends on the masses of the two protons) or the repulsive electrostatic force (that depends on the charges of the two protons)? and by how much?

I'm pretty sure the EM force would matter in your above example. What I'm worried about though is how much of an imbalance of electrons over protons you need on the Earth and Sun before the Earth gets forced out of orbit, provided the Earth has 10^50 protons and the Sun 10^57 protons.

g.lemaitre said:
... At first glance it seems ridiculous but considering the fact that the Earth has 10^50 protons that means that the Earth would have, I think, 10^14 extra protons than electrons,... My math must be off somehow.
Actually the Earth would have only one more proton

Since were on the topic of gravity how does the sun's gravity prevent it from blowing up into space? Because if its energy comes from nuclear fusion wouldn't the pressure from this reaction push the particles away?

Blahboy said:
Since were on the topic of gravity how does the sun's gravity prevent it from blowing up into space? Because if its energy comes from nuclear fusion wouldn't the pressure from this reaction push the particles away?
The sun is held in perfect equilibrium. Gravity wants to crush it to a point and the pressure from the fusion wants to push it outward. The outward force of fusion and the inward force of gravity are perfectly balanced and all of this is done without teleology.

1. How do electric and gravitational forces differ?

The main difference between electric and gravitational forces is the type of particles that they act upon. Electric forces act upon charged particles, while gravitational forces act upon any object with mass. Additionally, electric forces can be attractive or repulsive, while gravitational forces are always attractive.

2. Which force is stronger, electric or gravitational?

Electric forces are generally much stronger than gravitational forces. For example, the electric force between two protons is about 10^36 times stronger than the gravitational force between them.

3. How are electric and gravitational forces calculated?

The electric force between two charged particles is calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The gravitational force between two objects is calculated using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

4. Can electric and gravitational forces cancel each other out?

No, electric and gravitational forces cannot cancel each other out. They act independently of each other and can both exist at the same time. For example, an object can experience both an electric force and a gravitational force simultaneously.

5. How do electric and gravitational forces affect the motion of objects?

Electric and gravitational forces can both cause objects to accelerate or change direction. The strength and direction of the force will determine the resulting motion of the object. However, electric forces can also cause objects to experience a repulsive force, while gravitational forces are always attractive.