Incline Planes: question about distance?

In summary, when an object slides down an inclined plane, the distance traveled is measured along the hypotenuse of the right triangle formed by the plane. This question was raised in the context of creating a schematic of an inclined plane where the base was labeled as "x". However, it was ultimately determined that this small detail would not affect the math in the problem.
jmosque
Does the distance traveled by an object sliding down an incline plane pertain to the base or the hypotenuse of the triangle? My guess is the hypotenuse, but I want to make sure in order to settle this matter once and for all.

Physics news on Phys.org
The distance traveled is along the hypotenuse yes.

jmosque said:
Does the distance traveled by an object sliding down an incline plane pertain to the base or the hypotenuse of the triangle? My guess is the hypotenuse, but I want to make sure in order to settle this matter once and for all.
When something slides down an inclined plane, the distance traveled is usually measured along the surface of the incline, which can be thought of as the hypotenuse of a right triangle.

What exact question did you have in mind?

Doc Al said:
When something slides down an inclined plane, the distance traveled is usually measured along the surface of the incline, which can be thought of as the hypotenuse of a right triangle.

What exact question did you have in mind?

That was my question, for the purpose of making a schematic of an incline pane. I was going to label the base as "x" but then I questioned whether that was correct. In retrospect, it was somewhat of a dumb question because I don't really think this small matter would have affected any of the math in my problem.Thank you both for your help! :)

The distance traveled by an object sliding down an incline plane is determined by the hypotenuse of the triangle. This is because the hypotenuse represents the actual path that the object takes as it moves down the incline, which is the longest distance traveled. The base of the triangle only represents the distance along the horizontal plane, which is not the actual distance traveled by the object. Therefore, your guess is correct, and the hypotenuse is the correct measure of the distance traveled by an object on an incline plane.

1. How does the distance on an incline plane affect the amount of work required?

The distance on an incline plane does not affect the amount of work required. Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance moved in the direction of the force, and this remains constant regardless of the incline or distance.

2. How does the angle of the incline plane affect the distance an object travels?

The angle of the incline plane does not affect the distance an object travels. The distance an object travels is determined by its initial velocity and the time it spends in motion, not the angle of the incline.

3. Is the distance on an incline plane measured along the incline or horizontally?

The distance on an incline plane is measured along the incline. This is because the force of gravity acts along the incline, so it is the distance moved in this direction that determines the work done.

4. How does friction on an incline plane affect the distance an object travels?

Friction on an incline plane can affect the distance an object travels by resisting its motion and slowing it down. This can result in a shorter distance traveled compared to a frictionless incline plane.

5. Does the weight of an object affect the distance it travels on an incline plane?

The weight of an object does not directly affect the distance it travels on an incline plane. However, a heavier object may require more force to move up the incline, which could result in a shorter distance traveled if the force is not strong enough to overcome the weight.