Mastering Thevenin/Norton Problem Analysis: Tips and Tricks | Homework Help

• Thread starter RoKr93
  • Start date
In summary, the person is struggling with a problem involving circuit analysis and Thevenin/Norton problems. They attempted to do a KCL on the top node, but got stuck. They are trying to find a relation between vx and vAB, but haven't been successful. They were helped by someone who told them to use nodal analysis and to ignore the "sampled" values except for their use in the controlled sources. They were then able to repeat the analysis with the output shorted to determine the Norton current.
RoKr93

Homework Statement

2013-06-25215856_zps5b4eb0e5.jpg

Homework Equations

V = IR
I1 + I2 ... + In = 0 for a node (KCL)
V1 + V2 ... + Vn = 0 for a loop (KVL)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've really been struggling with this problem and Thevenin/Norton problems in general. I just can't seem to perform the proper circuit analysis. I know that I can set IA = 0 and VAB = VVoc in order to find Thevenin values, but I just keep getting stuck. I tried to do KCL on the top node, which got me -kvx - (vx/50Ω) + ((vs - vx)/200Ω), but that appears to be getting me nowhere. I've been trying to find a relation between vx and vAB so I can substitute in, but to no avail. I'd really appreciate a nudge in the right direction here as well as general advice, as I'm pretty lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with nodal analysis? If so, use it to find the potential at the top of the controlled current source when the output is open-circuited. That'll be your Thevenin voltage. Show your work so we can see how you're doing.

-vx/50Ω + vAB/200Ω -kvx = 0

vAB/200Ω = vx/50Ω + kvx

vAB = 4*vx + 4*kvx

additionally,

vAB - vs + vx = 0

vx = vs - vAB

so

vAB = 4*(vs - vAB) + 4*k*(vs - vAB)

vAB = 4*vs - 4*vAB + 4*0.025*vs - 4*0.025*vAB

5.1*vAB = 4.1*vs

vAB = 16.078... V

I don't think that's right. Things aren't adding up when I plug it back in. Where'd I go wrong?

Okay, for starters don't treat Vx as "known" value for your node equation, except where it is referenced on controlled sources. Vx is a variable that you'll find an expression for based upon fixed circuit parameters. Write your node equation for the 50 Ω branch as though Vx wasn't labeled.

What's the expression for the current in the 50 Ω branch supposing that the node voltage is VAB? Given that current flowing through the 50Ω resistor, what's an expression to replace Vx?

Isn't that what I did? Can't vx be written as -(vAB - vs) or vs - vAB if we're treating it as the voltage difference between the nodal voltage and vs?

RoKr93 said:
Isn't that what I did? Can't vx be written as -(vAB - vs) or vs - vAB if we're treating it as the voltage difference between the nodal voltage and vs?

Okay, you're right, you can do it that way. My own preference is to write the node equations ignoring the "sampled" values except for their use in the controlled sources, then later replace those instances with expressions derived from the circuit.

Looking at your node equation manipulations:

-vx/50Ω + vAB/200Ω -kvx = 0

vAB/200Ω = vx/50Ω + kvx

vAB = 4*vx + 4*kvx

check the coefficient for the last term on the right hand side.

Well that was stupid of me. Figures that I thought to check my circuit before I thought to check my actual math, lol. VAB = Voc = 18 V.

So now I need either Rth or Isc. If I do the same nodal analysis on the top node but this time include a -IA, does that make my VAB = 0? It would be a short circuit, correct?

RoKr93 said:
Well that was stupid of me. Figures that I thought to check my circuit before I thought to check my actual math, lol. VAB = Voc = 18 V.

So now I need either Rth or Isc. If I do the same nodal analysis on the top node but this time include a -IA, does that make my VAB = 0? It would be a short circuit, correct?

Your open-circuit voltage looks fine.

Yes, you can repeat the analysis with the output shorted to determine the Norton current. Just find the node voltage and divide by the 40Ω "load" to find the current in that branch.

Note that for part (b) you're going to need a version of the solution for the Thevenin voltage that leaves k as a variable...

Got it. Thanks so much for your help- it's much appreciated.

What is Thevenin's theorem and how is it used in problem analysis?

Thevenin's theorem is a basic principle in electrical circuit analysis that allows for simplification of a complex circuit into an equivalent single voltage source and series resistance. It is used to analyze the behavior of circuits and determine the voltage, current, and power at various points in the circuit.

What is Norton's theorem and how does it differ from Thevenin's theorem?

Norton's theorem is another basic principle in electrical circuit analysis that also allows for simplification of a complex circuit into an equivalent single current source and parallel resistance. It differs from Thevenin's theorem in that it focuses on the current sources and parallel resistances rather than voltage sources and series resistances.

What are some common mistakes made when applying Thevenin's and Norton's theorems?

Some common mistakes include incorrect application of the theorems, not considering the effects of dependent sources, and not simplifying the circuit completely before applying the theorems. It is also important to keep track of the polarity of the voltage and direction of the current when simplifying the circuit.

How can I determine the equivalent resistance for a circuit using Thevenin's and Norton's theorems?

To determine the equivalent resistance using Thevenin's theorem, you can remove all sources from the circuit and calculate the resistance between the two points of interest. For Norton's theorem, you can short circuit the output terminals and calculate the equivalent resistance between the two points of interest.

Are there any tips or tricks for mastering Thevenin/Norton problem analysis?

Some helpful tips include practicing with different circuit configurations, understanding how dependent sources affect the circuit, and simplifying the circuit completely before applying the theorems. It can also be helpful to use a step-by-step approach and check your answers with circuit analysis software or by hand calculation.