Solving the Inclined Plane Puzzle

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with an inclined plane and a resting mass. The free body diagram shows that the sum of forces is equal to the mass times acceleration, but the result seems incorrect. The mistake is discovered to be that the forces are not parallel.
rexregisanimi
This is driving me nuts. What am I missing?

Suppose you have an inclined plane with a mass m resting on it. The free body diagram for the mass m has F_grav downward and F_normal perpendicular to the surface of the inclined plane. Thus, by Newton's Second Law, you have:

F=F_grav+F_norm=ma with the bolded script indicating vectors. Because F_normal=F_grav*cos(α) where α is the angle of the plane's inclination you get

F_grav+F_norm=F_grav+F_grav*cos(α)=F_grav*(1+cos(α))=ma.

But this doesn't make any sense! This indicates that, as the inclination of the plane gets lower and lower, the acceleration gets higher. It's obviously a wrong result but I can't, for the life of me, figure out where my mistake is. lol Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi rexregisanimi! :smile:
rexregisanimi said:
Because F_normal=F_grav*cos(α) …

nooo :redface:

they're not parallel, are they? :biggrin:

Ah yes. lol Thanks :)

1. How does the inclined plane puzzle work?

The inclined plane puzzle is a problem-solving activity that involves a block or object placed on an inclined plane. The goal is to determine the minimum force needed to move the block up or down the plane, taking into account the angle of the plane and the weight of the block.

2. What are the key principles behind solving the inclined plane puzzle?

The key principles of solving the inclined plane puzzle include understanding the concept of force, friction, and the relationship between weight and angle of the plane. It also involves applying mathematical equations such as Newton's Second Law and the Pythagorean Theorem.

3. What are some common strategies for solving the inclined plane puzzle?

Some common strategies for solving the inclined plane puzzle include breaking down the problem into smaller components, using diagrams and equations to visualize and calculate the forces involved, and testing different angles and forces to find the minimum required to move the block.

4. How can the inclined plane puzzle be applied in real-life situations?

The inclined plane puzzle has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture. For example, it can be used to determine the most efficient angle for a ramp or a conveyor belt, or to calculate the amount of force needed to move objects on an inclined surface.

5. What are some common misconceptions about solving the inclined plane puzzle?

One common misconception is that the angle of the plane is the only factor that affects the amount of force needed to move the block. In reality, the weight of the block and the coefficient of friction between the block and the plane also play a significant role.