What is the controversy surrounding Comcast and antitrust laws?

• News
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laws
In summary, Ted Cruz believes that net neutrality is Obamacare for the internet and is against the President taking a stance on the issue.
Here’s How Comcast Plans to Rule American Cable and Internet
http://www.wired.com/business/2014/03/comcast-opinion/

Once upon a time, government agencies might have been interested in such things. But with the narrow definitions of anti-trust hobbling the Justice Department, the Federal Communications Commission having given away (so far) its authority over broadband and Congress more in the thrall of large companies, it’s almost a certainty that consumers will get the short end of the stick, again.

Physics news on Phys.org
I officially was notified last week in a letter thy sent, I'm currently with Time Warner. :(

Greg Bernhardt said:
Here’s How Comcast Plans to Rule American Cable and Internet
http://www.wired.com/business/2014/03/comcast-opinion/

The death of net neutrality is going to place a significant amount of power in their hands even if they don't merge.

It's already hitting some startups:
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/527006/talk-of-an-internet-fast-lane-is-already-hurting-some-startups/

And I don't look for congress to step in any time soon. The only expert advice they get is from lobbyists. They killed the program that gave them expert advice on technology in 1995.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...ely-to-remain-clueless-about-technology.shtml

So one might as well talk to a tree when it comes to problems in ultra strong IP, anti-trust, privacy, and a large number of other issues in technology. Everyone is an expert I guess =/

Last edited:
Likes billy_joule
SixNein said:
Who cares what Ted Cruz has to say?
Apparently the millions of people that support him

Greg Bernhardt said:
Apparently the millions of people that support him

I think it says a lot about the state of our politics when people like him are taken seriously.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
dlgoff said:
I'm sure glad I did a search and found this thread as I was about to ask ... WT... this was about.

My above post from MIT contradicts the claims being made by republicans.

SixNein said:
Exactly. :)

SixNein said:
I'm very happy to see the President take a stance on the issue. The tech community did a lot to get the man elected.

Well, I for one would hope that the President does not use his office to reward his supporters and punish his enemies.

As far as the argument "Ted Cruz is against it so I must be for it", well, personally, I don't want to let Ted Cruz do my thinking for me.

While "neutrality" sounds like a good thing, and Comcast is (IMHO rightfully) one of the most hated companies in America, this is a much more complex issue than can be decided by "Comcast and Ted Cruz don't like it, and in any event, who doesn't like neutrality?" Indeed, many networks try very hard not to be neutral - the term is Quality of Service (QoS). If I am streaming video (or more importantly, audio), I need the packet to arrive within a very small window - measured in milliseconds. If I am downloading a new release of Linux, I have more flexibility and can better tolerate delayed packets. If you don't like the carrier imposing a surcharge on streaming video, perhaps you would agree to a discount for a lower QoS.

Of course, there are many variations of this, and people have different opinions on what the best policy is. But "net neutrality" is more a slogan than an actual policy.

SixNein said:
The Tech Review no longer has a direct connection to MIT, despite the name. TR is published now by an independent media company, though MIT owns the company.

Last edited:
Vanadium 50 said:
Well, I for one would hope that the President does not use his office to reward his supporters and punish his enemies.

As far as the argument "Ted Cruz is against it so I must be for it", well, personally, I don't want to let Ted Cruz do my thinking for me.

While "neutrality" sounds like a good thing, and Comcast is (IMHO rightfully) one of the most hated companies in America, this is a much more complex issue than can be decided by "Comcast and Ted Cruz don't like it, and in any event, who doesn't like neutrality?" Indeed, many networks try very hard not to be neutral - the term is Quality of Service (QoS). If I am streaming video (or more importantly, audio), I need the packet to arrive within a very small window - measured in milliseconds. If I am downloading a new release of Linux, I have more flexibility and can better tolerate delayed packets. If you don't like the carrier imposing a surcharge on streaming video, perhaps you would agree to a discount for a lower QoS.

Of course, there are many variations of this, and people have different opinions on what the best policy is. But "net neutrality" is more a slogan than an actual policy.

I don't think anyone is making the argument that an operator shouldn't be able to prioritize streaming over email traffic. We are talking about the ability to adjust priorities based on non-technical reasons. What streaming services should we give priority to and which ones should we deny? Those kinds of questions are what the debate is all about.

Question 1: What is Comcast and how does it relate to antitrust laws?

Comcast is a large media and telecommunications company that offers cable, internet, and phone services to consumers. Antitrust laws are regulations that aim to promote fair competition in the marketplace and prevent monopolies from forming. Comcast's size and reach have led to concerns about potential violations of antitrust laws.

Question 2: What specific antitrust laws has Comcast been accused of violating?

Comcast has been accused of violating Section 7 of the Clayton Antitrust Act, which prohibits mergers and acquisitions that may substantially lessen competition. It has also faced accusations of violating Section 2 of the Sherman Antitrust Act, which prohibits monopolization or attempts to monopolize a market.

Question 3: What actions has the government taken against Comcast for potential antitrust violations?

In 2011, the U.S. Department of Justice blocked Comcast's attempt to acquire NBCUniversal, citing concerns about potential harm to competition. In 2016, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) imposed conditions on Comcast's acquisition of DreamWorks Animation to prevent potential anticompetitive behavior.

Question 4: What is the current status of Comcast's legal battles related to antitrust laws?

Comcast is currently facing a lawsuit from Viamedia, a small advertising company, for allegedly engaging in anticompetitive practices in the advertising market. The case is ongoing and could have significant implications for Comcast's business practices.

Question 5: How do antitrust laws protect consumers in the context of Comcast?

Antitrust laws aim to promote fair competition and prevent monopolies, which can lead to higher prices and decreased innovation for consumers. By enforcing these laws, the government can help ensure that consumers have a variety of choices and fair prices for their cable, internet, and phone services from companies like Comcast.