Calculating the angle using angular acceleration

In summary, integrating angular acceleration with respect to time can give you the angular velocity as a function of time. Then, integrating again can give you the change in angle with respect to time. The initial angular velocity will be zero if the object starts from equilibrium. Integrating angular velocity will give you angular displacement.
james6008
Hi

I have calculated angular acceleration which changes with time. I also have a moment(torque) which also changes with time and a fixed moment of inertia. Is there an equation or a way for me to work out the change in angle with respect to time using this information? If not, what other information do I need?

Physics news on Phys.org
james6008 said:
Hi

I have calculated angular acceleration which changes with time. I also have a moment(torque) which also changes with time and a fixed moment of inertia. Is there an equation or a way for me to work out the change in angle with respect to time using this information? If not, what other information do I need?
If you know the angular acceleration as a function of time and you know the initial angular velocity at time zero, you can integrate with respect to time to get the angular velocity as a function of time. Then you can integrate again to get the change in angle with respect to time.

Chet

The initial angular velocity will always be zero because the object starts moving from equilibrium.
So integrating angular acceleration gives me angular velocity. I thought integrating angular velocity will give me displacement/position or am I wrong thinking that?

james6008 said:
The initial angular velocity will always be zero because the object starts moving from equilibrium.
So integrating angular acceleration gives me angular velocity. I thought integrating angular velocity will give me displacement/position or am I wrong thinking that?
Integrating angular velocity will give you angular displacement (aka change in angle).

Chet

Perfect. Thanks for your help.

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's angular velocity changes over time. It is typically denoted by the symbol alpha (α) and is measured in radians per second squared.

2. How is angular acceleration related to linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration and linear acceleration are related through the equation α = a/r, where α is angular acceleration, a is linear acceleration, and r is the radius of the circle or arc that the object is moving along.

3. How do you calculate the angle using angular acceleration?

The angle can be calculated using the formula θ = θ0 + ω0t + 1/2αt^2, where θ is the final angle, θ0 is the initial angle, ω0 is the initial angular velocity, α is the angular acceleration, and t is the time interval.

4. Can you calculate the angle using only angular acceleration?

No, in order to calculate the angle using angular acceleration, you also need to know the initial angle and initial angular velocity of the object, as well as the time interval.

5. What are some real-life applications of calculating angles using angular acceleration?

Calculating angles using angular acceleration is useful in many fields, such as robotics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to design and control robots, analyze the motion of objects, and optimize the performance of machines and equipment.