Hand Moldable Plastic: Find Material for Room Temp Shaping

In summary, there are two options for a material that can be molded by hand at room temperature: thermoplastic U Mold, which can be melted and molded repeatedly, and thermosets like Sculpey that can only be molded once before being baked. The U Mold can be remolded endlessly if kept clean, while Sculpey may lose quality after multiple hardenings.
leilafg
Hi,
I am looking for a material that molds/gets shape with hand at room temperature and does not separate! Does such a material exist?
(By the way I am do not have physics background!)

Many thanks for you help :)
Leila

Engineering news on Phys.org
Not sure what is meant by "does not separate", but RadioShack sells this thermoplastic:

U Mold

I have used this before and basically you just pour the beads into a bowl of microwaved water, doesn't have to be boiling. You can them mold it with your hands. When cooled it is a hard plastic. It can be melted and molded again if needed. I think this is the same material used in some 3D printers.

Otherwise there are thermosets like Sculpey that are molded at room temperature before being baked in a normal oven. They cannot be remolded. But I think you already know about those.

mishima said:
Not sure what is meant by "does not separate", but RadioShack sells this thermoplastic:

U Mold

I have used this before and basically you just pour the beads into a bowl of microwaved water, doesn't have to be boiling. You can them mold it with your hands. When cooled it is a hard plastic. It can be melted and molded again if needed. I think this is the same material used in some 3D printers.

Otherwise there are thermosets like Sculpey that are molded at room temperature before being baked in a normal oven. They cannot be remolded. But I think you already know about those.

Thanks Mishima, could it be remolded endlessly?

If you are careful about not contaminating it with dust/dye/paint/etc, then yes it doesn't lose any quality after multiple hardenings. I have honestly not tried it above around 10 times though. There are probably some techniques for cleaning it that I am unaware of.

mishima said:
If you are careful about not contaminating it with dust/dye/paint/etc, then yes it doesn't lose any quality after multiple hardenings. I have honestly not tried it above around 10 times though. There are probably some techniques for cleaning it that I am unaware of.

Thanks Mishima, will try it,
KR, Leila

1. What is hand moldable plastic?

Hand moldable plastic is a type of plastic material that can be shaped and molded at room temperature without the need for specialized equipment or tools. It is often referred to as "plastic clay" or "self-hardening plastic" because it can be formed and hardened by hand.

2. What is hand moldable plastic commonly used for?

Hand moldable plastic is commonly used for prototyping, DIY projects, and repairs. It can also be used for creating small objects or decorations, such as figurines or jewelry. Additionally, it is often used in educational settings for science experiments and demonstrations.

3. How does hand moldable plastic work?

Hand moldable plastic works by softening when heated and then hardening as it cools. This allows it to be easily molded and shaped at room temperature, and then it solidifies into a durable plastic material. Some hand moldable plastics may require water or heat to activate the hardening process.

4. Is hand moldable plastic safe to use?

Yes, hand moldable plastic is generally safe to use. It is non-toxic and does not emit harmful fumes. However, it is always important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety guidelines when working with any type of plastic material.

5. Are there different types of hand moldable plastic available?

Yes, there are various types of hand moldable plastic available, each with their own unique properties. Some examples include polycaprolactone (PCL), thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU), and polystyrene (PS). It is important to choose the right type of hand moldable plastic for your specific project or application.