Solving an Integral Question: Trig Substitution Method Explained

• Thread starter ziddy83
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about finding the integral of dt/(t^4)-25 and the suggestion is to rewrite it as \int\frac{dt}{(t^{2}+5)(t^{2}-5)} and use partial fractions decomposition. The person also suggests factoring out t^{4}-25 and mentions that the process can be tedious.
ziddy83
ok here is the integral...sorry for the laziness...

integral of dt/(t^4)-25

would this just turn out to be (t^4)-25 since you can bring up the denominator to the top as (something)^-1...then just take the antiderivative...? hope that makes sense

edit: ok that won't work...so I think i need to make a trig sub...so like...hmm do i let t= sec x?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rewrite it to:
[tex]I=\int\frac{dt}{(t^{2}+5)(t^{2}-5)}[/tex]
and use partial fractions decomposition.

[tex] \int \frac{dt}{t^4-25} = \int \frac{dt}{(t^2-5)(t^2+5)}[/tex]

edit: tex error

Last edited:
oh ok...cool. Thanks guys

Try factoring out [tex]t^{4}-25[/tex]. Didn't you learn how to do these type of integrals in lecture (partial fractions)? You'll have to learn how to do such integrals yourself, the process is quite tedious.

That was quick, GCT..:wink:

it seems that we were all answering this question at the same time.

What is a quick integral question?

A quick integral question is a mathematical problem that involves finding the area under a curve. It typically involves using integration techniques to find the antiderivative of a function, and then evaluating the definite integral over a given interval.

Why are integrals important in science?

Integrals are important in science because they allow us to calculate important quantities such as displacement, velocity, acceleration, and work. They also help us to model and understand real-world phenomena, such as the growth of populations or the spread of diseases.

What are some common techniques for solving integrals?

Some common techniques for solving integrals include substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, and partial fractions. It is important to choose the appropriate technique based on the form of the integral.

How can I check if my answer to a quick integral question is correct?

You can check your answer by differentiating the antiderivative you found and seeing if it matches the original function. You can also use numerical methods, such as a calculator or computer program, to approximate the value of the integral and compare it to your answer.

What are some real-world applications of integrals?

Integrals have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. Some examples include calculating the work done by a force, finding the center of mass of an object, and determining the area under a probability distribution curve.