Best way to determine the weight/volume of a grain of sand/salt

• Thread starter soggybread
  • Start date
However, your teacher says it won't work effectively because they want to see how you do the lab, not just the results.
soggybread
I'm not looking into anyone giving me any answers here, but I just want to gather some ideas for a lab that requires me to calculate the volume and wieght (therefore, finding the density) of a grain of salt and sand.

I've thought about the idea of counting out 100 grains and then weighing them, then dividing it by 100 for weight. And to use a water displacement method to find the volume, again using 100 grains of salt.

Does anyone have any other possible ideas?

Any advice, input, and thoughts, would we well recieved.

Thanks,

Jason

P.S. - My teacher says that is a lab that will not work effectively. The teacher is more interested in finding out how I do the lab, not my lab results.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
>What moves at constant speed in straight line?
>What moves at constant speed in circle?

Your method sounds like the way most people would do it.

1. How do you determine the weight of a grain of sand/salt?

To determine the weight of a grain of sand/salt, you can use a balance scale. First, calibrate the scale by placing a known weight on one side and adjusting the other side until the scale is balanced. Then, carefully add grains of sand/salt to the other side until the scale is again balanced. The weight of the grains can then be read on the scale.

2. Can you determine the volume of a grain of sand/salt?

Yes, the volume of a grain of sand/salt can be determined by using a displacement method. First, fill a graduated cylinder with water to a known volume. Then, carefully drop the grain of sand/salt into the cylinder and record the new volume. The difference between the two volumes will be the volume of the grain of sand/salt.

3. Is there a more accurate way to determine the weight of a grain of sand/salt?

Yes, there are more precise methods such as using a micrometer to measure the dimensions of the grain and then using a density formula to calculate the weight. However, these methods require specialized equipment and may not be necessary for most applications.

4. How does the shape of the grain of sand/salt affect its weight and volume?

The shape of the grain of sand/salt can affect its weight and volume. For example, a larger, more irregularly shaped grain will have a greater weight and volume compared to a smaller, more spherical grain. This is because the larger grain has more surface area and therefore more mass.

5. Is it necessary to use a specific type of sand/salt for accurate weight and volume measurements?

No, it is not necessary to use a specific type of sand/salt for weight and volume measurements. However, it is important to use a standardized method and consistent procedures to ensure accurate and reproducible results.