Centrifugal Force and shape of water

In summary, when a cylinder of water is spun on a turntable, the surface of the water will form a parabola. This can be determined by examining the forces on an element of the water surface, with the net force being centripetal. The equation for this parabola can be derived using the vertex as the origin, and the surface of the water will be an equipotential surface in a corotating frame of reference. In both the case of just rotating the turntable and rotating the entire cylinder, the surface of the water will remain perpendicular to the apparent "gravity" created by the centrifugal force. The equation for the parabola can also be derived from an inertial frame, with the forces of
amcavoy
"Centrifugal" Force

Say you have a cylinder of radius r with πr2h liters of water in it. If you put it on some sort of turntable and spin it with an angular velocity ω, is there a way to tell what the shape of the water will be? I mean, if you look at the cross section will you be able to find out if it forms for example, a parabola?

This isn't a homework problem or anything, I'm just curious. Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, the rotating water surface will assume the form of a parabola. The way to figure that out is to examine the forces on a element of the water surface. The net force is centripetal.

Doc Al said:
Actually, the rotating water surface will assume the form of a parabola. The way to figure that out is to examine the forces on a element of the water surface. The net force is centripetal.

Relative to some origin (let's say the vertex), is there a way to find the equation of that parabola or is the shape the most that can be determined?

According to my calculation, the equation (using the vertex as the origin) should be:
[tex]y = \frac{\omega^2}{2 g} x^2[/tex]

Said another way,the surface of the water will be an equipotential surface in a corotating frame of reference.

Are you rotating just the turntable or the cylinder as well? In the former case I think some water will fall out due to its inertia of rest.Tell me if I am wrong,and also if water would fall out in the latter case too.

Doc Al said:
According to my calculation, the equation (using the vertex as the origin) should be:
[tex]y = \frac{\omega^2}{2 g} x^2[/tex]

Is this shown by the following?:

[tex]E_k=E_p\implies v=\sqrt{2gh}[/tex]

[tex]y=h;\quad x=r[/tex]

[tex]\frac{ds}{dt}=v=x\frac{d\theta}{dt}=x\omega[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{2gy}=x\omega\implies y=\frac{{\omega}^2}{2g}x^2[/tex]

This was the only way I could derive the equation you posted above, and I figured that the kinetic energy would be the same as the potential energy because if you look at a single molecule of water, it is doesn't experience any friction because it is rotating with every other molecule. Also, I just said that the distance from the center of the cylinder r was x (since the origin is the center) and the height above that center is y. Am I correct with what I posted above?

Thanks again.

I can't say I understand your derivation or reasoning, but maybe I'm just dense today.

Here's how I would derive it (from an inertial frame). Take an element of mass on the surface. The force due to the water/air pressure must be perpendicular to the surface. Call that force F. The only other force is the weight, mg. Applying Newton's 2nd law to vertical and horizontal components gives:
[tex]F \cos \theta = mg[/tex]
[tex]F \sin \theta = m\omega^2 x[/tex]
where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle the tangent to the curve makes with the horizontal axis, thus:
[tex]\tan \theta = dy/dx = \frac{\omega^2}{g} x[/tex]
[tex]y = \frac{\omega^2}{2g} x^2[/tex]

Viewed from the rotating frame, the derivation is even simpler. Just realize that the surface of the fluid will be perpendicular to the direction of the apparent "gravity": the sum of real gravity plus the outward centrifugal force.

For an excellent practical application of this idea, check this out.

Doc Al said:
I can't say I understand your derivation or reasoning, but maybe I'm just dense today.

Here's how I would derive it (from an inertial frame). Take an element of mass on the surface. The force due to the water/air pressure must be perpendicular to the surface. Call that force F. The only other force is the weight, mg. Applying Newton's 2nd law to vertical and horizontal components gives:
[tex]F \cos \theta = mg[/tex]
[tex]F \sin \theta = m\omega^2 x[/tex]
where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle the tangent to the curve makes with the horizontal axis, thus:
[tex]\tan \theta = dy/dx = \frac{\omega^2}{g} x[/tex]
[tex]y = \frac{\omega^2}{2g} x^2[/tex]

Viewed from the rotating frame, the derivation is even simpler. Just realize that the surface of the fluid will be perpendicular to the direction of the apparent "gravity": the sum of real gravity plus the outward centrifugal force.

Ahh, ok that makes sense. I don't know what I was thinking when I derived it the other way :uhh:

Thanks for the help :smile:

1. What is Centrifugal Force?

Centrifugal force is a fictitious force that appears to act on an object moving in a curved path, pulling the object away from the center of the curve.

2. How does Centrifugal Force affect the shape of water?

Centrifugal force causes water molecules to move away from the center of rotation, resulting in a concave shape of the water's surface.

3. Can Centrifugal Force change the direction of water's flow?

Yes, Centrifugal force can change the direction of water's flow by pulling the water molecules towards the outer edge of the curved path.

4. Does the shape of the container affect the Centrifugal Force on water?

Yes, the shape of the container can affect the Centrifugal Force on water. A taller and narrower container will result in a stronger Centrifugal Force compared to a wider and shorter container.

5. How does the speed of rotation affect Centrifugal Force on water?

The faster the rotation, the stronger the Centrifugal Force on water. This means that a faster rotation will result in a more pronounced concave shape of the water's surface.