Design does not fit on the chip

In summary, the student is having difficulty fitting his design on a chip with a compiler telling him it does not fit. He has a hint that suggests looking at the equations generated by the compiler and thinking about how he can get the logic to fit. It may take two or more clock cycles for the logic to propagate from new input data to valid output data.
EvLer
So, yeah... this is an assignment, but i just need some hint:
we need to write an abel program for a combinational logic function with 5 inputs representing integers 0-31, and two outputs M3 and M5, which indicate whether the number is multiple of 3 or 5, respectively.
So, here's my truth_table... and... my design does not fit on the chip (compiler says)! How can i rework this if compiler isn't able to optimize it?

thanks much as always.

EDIT: i should say that i used GAL16V8D, is it possible to use this PLD or do i need to use something like GAL22?

Attachments

• hw_3.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 626
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
EvLer said:
So, yeah... this is an assignment, but i just need some hint:
we need to write an abel program for a combinational logic function with 5 inputs representing integers 0-31, and two outputs M3 and M5, which indicate whether the number is multiple of 3 or 5, respectively.
So, here's my truth_table... and... my design does not fit on the chip (compiler says)! How can i rework this if compiler isn't able to optimize it?

thanks much as always.

EDIT: i should say that i used GAL16V8D, is it possible to use this PLD or do i need to use something like GAL22?
Here's a hint -- look at the equations that the compiler generated, and think about how you can get the logic to fit if you generate an intermediate term and feed it back into the PLD as another input. It may take two passes through the small PLD to get the result. So it may take two or more clock cycles for the logic to propagate from new input data to valid output data.

don't mean to overwhelm my post, but here are the equations generated by abel (i fit it on GAL22 for now)... could i have a hint :cry:

M3 = (N4 & !N3 & N2 & !N1 & N0
# N4 & N3 & !N2 & !N1 & !N0
# !N4 & N3 & N2 & !N1 & !N0
# N4 & !N3 & !N2 & N1 & !N0
# !N4 & !N3 & N2 & N1 & !N0
# !N4 & N3 & !N2 & !N1 & N0
# !N4 & !N3 & !N2 & N1 & N0
# N4 & N3 & N2 & N1 & !N0
# N4 & N3 & !N2 & N1 & N0
# !N4 & N3 & N2 & N1 & N0);

M5 = (N4 & !N3 & N2 & !N1 & !N0
# !N4 & N3 & !N2 & N1 & !N0
# N4 & N3 & !N2 & !N1 & N0
# !N4 & !N3 & N2 & !N1 & N0
# N4 & N3 & N2 & N1 & !N0
# !N4 & N3 & N2 & N1 & N0);

edit: i assume for GAL16V8 i need to "minimize" sum terms, of which there are 16 (OR-gates and 8 AND gates), right? well...i have 16!

Last edited:
Those aren't the reduced equations, are they?

Edit/Hint -- Those are the "reduced" equations for positive logic, but check out the K-map for the inverted form. Try enabling the inverted form in your compiler. Does it not generate them also by default? Whenever your K-map has isolated 1's like that and big groups of 0's, the inverted equations will probably be more efficient.

Last edited:
thanks! i reversed polarity and i think it fit...

1. What does it mean when "design does not fit on the chip"?

When a design does not fit on the chip, it means that the components and features of the design cannot physically fit onto the available space on the chip. This can be due to a variety of reasons, such as the complexity of the design or limitations in the chip's size and capabilities.

2. What are the consequences of a design not fitting on the chip?

The consequences of a design not fitting on the chip can vary depending on the specific situation. In some cases, it may result in delays in production and increased costs as the design needs to be revised and optimized to fit on the chip. In more extreme cases, it may render the design unusable and require a complete redesign.

3. How can a design be optimized to fit on the chip?

There are a few ways to optimize a design to fit on the chip. One approach is to use more efficient coding and design techniques to reduce the overall size of the design. Another option is to utilize more advanced chip manufacturing processes, such as smaller transistors and 3D stacking, to increase the available space on the chip.

4. Is it common for a design to not fit on the chip?

It is not uncommon for a design to not fit on the chip, especially as technology continues to advance and designs become more complex. However, with proper planning and design optimization, it is possible to avoid this issue and ensure that a design will fit on the chip.

5. Can a design be modified to fit on the chip after it has already been designed?

In some cases, a design can be modified to fit on the chip after it has already been created. However, this can be a complex and time-consuming process. It is generally more efficient to plan for chip constraints during the design phase to avoid the need for modifications later on.