Minimal Function: Arc-Length c & Calc of Variations

• Thread starter John_Doe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary: The identity \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\frac{\partial}{\partial y}} = 0 can be used to solve for the constraint function if the boundary conditions are known.
John_Doe
The function of arc-length [tex]c[/tex] that minimises [tex]\int^b_{a}{y dx}[/tex] is the catenary, but why? I have tried using calculus of variations, [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} - \frac{d}{dx}(\frac{\partial f}{\partial \dot{y}}) + \lambda (\frac{\partial g}{\partial y}) = 0[/tex], however I don't know which constraint function to use.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Surely that is the wrong integral to look at (clearly the constant function y(x)=0 for all x minimizes the integral) (edit: and equally clearly I've just said something stupid, haven't I? That integral has no minimum: assumin y(a)=y(b)=0, and why not, that a=0, b=pi then -ksin(x) can be made arbitrarily small by making k arbitrarily large).

Try instead minimizing

[tex] \int y \sqrt{1+y'^2}dx[/tex]

with boundary conditions y(a)=y(b)

Last edited:
Why is the arc-length multiplied by [tex]y[/tex]?

Long answer with hand waving justification: Well, assuming a uniformly dense, unifrom cross section, the contribution of an infinitesimal bit of chain, dx, is the length of the chain times a constant (cross section times density) times the (gravitational) potential which is, ignoring constants

[tex] y \sqrt{1+y'^2} dx[/tex]

adding/integrating all those gives the answer.

Short answer for those who understand mechanics: y is the gravitational potential.

[tex]y[/tex] is the minimal function, [tex]\sqrt{1 + \dot{y}^2}dx[/tex] is the arc-length. What is [tex]y \sqrt{1 + \dot{y}^2}dx[/tex]?
Why don't I need a constraint equation?

Last edited:
it is the contribution to the gravitational potential of a small part of the chain (potential times the infinitesimal length of the chain)

suppose i raise a mass of m kgs a distance of d metres, what is the increase in its gravitational potential energy? in your idea it is just d and independent of m, which is (sadly) not true.

you do not want to minimize y, you want to minimize the potential energy *of the chain*, that is the integral of y.arclength.dx

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CalculusofVariations.html

what do you mean by constraint equation? boundary conditions? perhaps the method you've been taught differs from the one I know.

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} - \frac{d}{dx}(\frac{\partial f}{\partial \dot{y}}) + \lambda (\frac{\partial g}{\partial y}) = 0[/tex]

The constaint equation is [tex]g(y,\dot{y}, x) = 0[/tex]

Then you are doing something that differs from the method as I know it. It wouldn't hurt you to write more words, eg, try explaining the method you've been taught. I already understood that g from your first post was 'the constraint' equation, but had no idea what that meant. Seaching many sites on calc of variations doesn't reveal what the constraint function is either

I originally thought that the way to tackle the problem would be to set [tex]\int^b_{a}{\sqrt{1 + \dot{y}^2}dx} = c[/tex] as a constraint equation, and minimise [tex]\int^b_{a}{ydx}[/tex].

Can you explain geometrically [tex]\int^b_{a}{y \sqrt{1 + \dot{y}^2}dx[/tex]?

I thought I already did? length of an infinitesimal part of the chain (which is thus proportional to the mass of the infinitesimal part of the chain) times the potential that that infinitesimal mass contributes added up (integrated) over the whole length. i think that's the third time I've explained it. hopefully it is correct: I've taken this from the only source I could with enough detail in. (google is your friend.)

It appears you're trying to solve this by a combination of calculus of variation and lagrangian multipliers.

How is [tex]y[/tex] the gravitational potential?

it's the 'height' of the chain, relative to the 'ground' or reference level y=0. an object of mass m and distance d above the 'ground' has gravitational potential energy m*d*g relative to the 'ground' .(Don't conflate the potential of the field with the potential energy of something in the field, something I hoped i'd managed not to do), though reading back my last post i think i failed to do so, hence the probable confusion)

g is just a constant, and the mass is a constant times the arclength, plus the lagrange equation is homogenous (minmizing L(x,y,y') is the same as minmizing kL for any constant k) so we can divide by constants hence we need to minimize y.arclength over the arc.

Last edited:
[tex]f = y\sqrt{1 + \dot{y}^2}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{y}} = \sqrt{1 + \dot{y}^2}[/tex] [tex]\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{\dot{y}}} = \frac{y\dot{y}}{\sqrt{1 + \dot{y}^2}}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{y\dot{y}}{\sqrt{1 + \dot{y}^2}}) = \frac{\dot{y}^2 + y\ddot{y} - \frac{y\dot{y}^2\ddot{y}}{\sqrt{1 + \dot{y}^2}}}{1 + \dot{y}^2} = \frac{(\dot{y}^2 + y\ddot{y})\sqrt{1 + \dot{y}^2} - y\dot{y}^2\ddot{y}}{\sqrt{1 + \dot{y}^2}^3}[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{1 + \dot{y}^2} - \frac{(\dot{y}^2 + y\ddot{y})\sqrt{1 + \dot{y}^2} - y\dot{y}^2\ddot{y}}{\sqrt{1 + \dot{y}^2}^3} = 0[/tex]

Last edited:
try this additional method for the special case when L_x=0 like this

http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/BeltramiIdentity.html

Last edited by a moderator:
matt grime said:
suppose i raise a mass of m kgs a distance of d metres, what is the increase in its gravitational potential energy? in your idea it is just d and independent of m, which is (sadly) not true.

Thats interesting, why not if m is just a constant ?

Then you need to do another integral/differential equation if m varies with time, or position or something. See for instance the standard mechanics 101 exercise of the work done to launch a rocket with burning fuel making the mass change.

Last edited:
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = \dot{y} \sqrt{1 + \dot{y}^2} + \frac{y \dot{y}}{\sqrt{1 + \dot{y}^2}} = \dot{y} \frac{1 + \dot{y}^2 + y}{\sqrt{1 + \dot{y}^2}}[/tex]

1. What is minimal function and how is it related to arc-length c?

Minimal function is a mathematical concept that refers to a function that minimizes a certain property or quantity. In the case of arc-length c, minimal function refers to a function that minimizes the length of a curve. In other words, it is the shortest possible path between two points on a curve.

2. What is the significance of minimal function in calculus of variations?

Minimal function plays a crucial role in the calculus of variations, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the function that minimizes a certain integral. In this context, minimal function is used to solve problems related to finding the shortest path, the minimum energy, or the least action in a system.

3. How is minimal function calculated in the context of arc-length c?

The calculation of minimal function in the context of arc-length c involves using the Euler-Lagrange equation, which is a fundamental equation in the calculus of variations. This equation helps to find the function that minimizes the arc-length c by setting its derivative to zero and solving for the function.

4. Can minimal function also be used to solve optimization problems?

Yes, minimal function can also be used to solve optimization problems. In fact, the calculus of variations was originally developed to solve optimization problems. By minimizing a certain property or quantity, minimal function can help to find the optimal solution to a problem, such as the shortest path or the minimum energy required for a system.

5. Are there any real-world applications of minimal function and arc-length c?

Yes, minimal function and arc-length c have many real-world applications. Some examples include finding the shortest flight path for airplanes, determining the minimum energy required for spacecraft trajectory planning, and optimizing the shape of structures to minimize material usage. These applications demonstrate the practical importance of minimal function and its relationship to arc-length c in various fields of science and engineering.