Mastering the Chain Rule for Complex Derivatives

In summary, the conversation is about using the chain rule for composite functions and the difficulty the person has with more complex derivatives. They are looking for help in mastering these types of derivatives and would appreciate any tips. The conversation also includes a verbal aid for reading nested functions and a question about the derivative of a given function.
nate808
I understand hhow to use the chain rule for a simple 2 part composite function, however, I tend to have problems when it gets past that. Can someone please help me master these complex derivatives, or just a few quick tips would be nice

--Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you talking about single variable functions such as: f_1(x), f_2(x), ...f_n(x), such that d(f_1(f_2(...(f_n(x)...)/dx=df_1/d_f2*df_2/d_f3*...*df_n/dx. Or are you talking about the sets of mulitvariable functions: (y_1y_2...y_n) such that y_i=f_i(u_1,u_2,...u_m), and (u_1,...u_m) such that u_i=h_i(x_1,...x_n)?

single variable

the number of compositions equals the number of factors in the derivative.

if you have three functions composed the derivatives is a product of three functions.

i.e. (fogoh)'(x) = f'(g(h(x)).g'(h(x)).h'(x).

Here is a verbal aid: Count the of 's.

For example,

[tex]\tan\left( \sec \left( \sqrt{x^{3}}\right) \right) [/tex]

is read

"The tangent of the secant of the square root of the third power of x".

Each nested function is separated by an of,
this, with practice, makes the composition of functions pretty clear. Note that some functions need to be read in a non-standard way for this aid to work (e.g. rather than "x cubed," we read it "the third power of x.")

The derivative of the given function is what?

That is,

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\tan\left( \sec \left( \sqrt{x^{3}}\right) \right) =?[/tex]

Last edited:

What is the chain rule for a composite function?

The chain rule for a composite function is a rule in calculus that describes how to take the derivative of a function that is composed of two or more functions. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

Why is the chain rule important?

The chain rule is important because it allows us to find the derivative of complex functions by breaking them down into simpler functions. This is especially useful in physics and engineering where many real-world problems can be modeled using composite functions.

How do I apply the chain rule to a composite function?

To apply the chain rule, you need to identify the outer and inner functions in the composite function. Then, take the derivative of the outer function while treating the inner function as a constant. Finally, multiply the derivative of the outer function by the derivative of the inner function.

Can the chain rule be used for functions with more than two composite functions?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to functions with any number of composite functions. You just need to continue taking the derivative of the outer function and multiplying it by the derivative of the inner function until you have reached the innermost function.

Are there any special cases when applying the chain rule?

Yes, there are a few special cases to keep in mind when applying the chain rule. These include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule for inverse functions. It's important to understand these special cases and how to apply the chain rule in each situation.