Determine when f is differentiable

In summary: When you are looking at a function, there are two limits you should consider: the limit as h approaches 0 from below (i.e., make h some small negative number that approaches zero) and the limit as h approaches 0 from above (same thing, but now make h positive).
SomeRandomGuy
How do you determine when f is differentiably from a real analysis standpoint (no graphs and calculus)? Would I simply look for a point of discontinuity? We have 4 problems on our homework assignment involving this issue and I don't see one example in my notes or the book adressing it. Here is one of our problems incase your wondering:

Determine the values of x for which f(x) is differentiable and find it's derivative:
f(x) = x|x|

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
SomeRandomGuy said:
How do you determine when f is differentiably from a real analysis standpoint (no graphs and calculus)? Would I simply look for a point of discontinuity? We have 4 problems on our homework assignment involving this issue and I don't see one example in my notes or the book adressing it. Here is one of our problems incase your wondering:
Determine the values of x for which f(x) is differentiable and find it's derivative:
f(x) = x|x|
Thanks

Start by looking at f(x) = |x|, and using the definition of the derivative as x approaches 0.

Are the limits the same?

JasonRox said:
Start by looking at f(x) = |x|, and using the definition of the derivative as x approaches 0.
Are the limits the same?

I don't understand. Are which two limits the same? The definition of the derivative on |x| and x|x|?

SomeRandomGuy said:
I don't understand. Are which two limits the same? The definition of the derivative on |x| and x|x|?
You misunderstood JasonRox' post. I'll expand on it. First, forget about [itex]x{\lvert x\rvert}[/itex] for a moment. Just look at [itex]{\lvert x\rvert}[/itex]. When you are looking at that function, examine its behavior near zero. In particular, look at
[tex]\lim_{\Delta x\to 0}\frac{{\lvert x + \Delta x\rvert} - {\lvert x\rvert}}{\Delta x}[/tex]
at [itex]x=0[/itex].

By two limits, JasonRox meant the limit as [itex]\Delta x[/itex] approaches zero from below (i.e., make [itex]\Delta x[/itex] some small negative number that approaches zero) versus above (same thing, but now make [itex]\Delta x[/itex] positive).

Last edited:
D H said:
You misunderstood JasonRox' post. I'll expand on it. First, forget about [itex]x{\lvert x\rvert}[/itex] for a moment. Just look at [itex]{\lvert x\rvert}[/itex]. When you are looking at that function, examine its behavior near zero. In particular, look at
[tex]\lim_{\Delta x\to 0}\frac{{\lvert x + \Delta x\rvert} - {\lvert x\rvert}}{\Delta x}[/tex]
at [itex]x=0[/itex].
By two limits, JasonRox meant the limit as [itex]\Delta x[/itex] approaches zero from below (i.e., make [itex]\Delta x[/itex] some small negative number that approaches zero) versus above (same thing, but now make [itex]\Delta x[/itex] positive).

Thanks, for clearing it up.

Yeah, once you see the idea behind f(x) = |x|, you'll totally understand it for f(x) = x|x|.

Draw the graph as well, so you see what's happening.

of course if you remember |x|=x for x=>0 and -x otherwise then it is clear that the functions is differentialbe away from the origin.

SomeRandomGuy said:
f(x) = x|x|
Thanks
First of all, NO, it is NOT the case that "if a function is continuous at x= a, it is differentiable at x= a"! For example, f(x)= |x|. That is continuous at x= 0 but not differentiable at x= 0.

f(x)= x|x|= x2 if x> 0 which is obviously differentiable for x> 0.
f(x)= x|x|= -x2 if x< 0 which is obviously differentiable for x< 0.

Now what about
[tex]lim_{h\rightarrow 0^+}\frac{f(h)- f(0)}{h}[/tex]
and
[tex]lim_{h\rightarrow 0^-}\frac{f(h)- f(0)}{h}[/tex]
?
Take the limit

SomeRandomGuy said:
f(x) = x|x|
Thanks
First of all, NO, it is NOT the case that "if a function is continuous at x= a, it is differentiable at x= a"! For example, f(x)= |x|. That is continuous at x= 0 but not differentiable at x= 0.

Now what about
and
?
Take the limit

HallsofIvy said:
Now what about
and
?
Take the limit

Yeah, totally right.

It is true that if it is differentiable at x=a, then it is continuous at x=a.

The converse is not true, just like HallsofIvy showed.

Ok, I did what you guys said and took the right and left hand derivatives for this function.
I got the right hand derivative to be infiinity, while the left is -infinity. So, it's not differentiable at x = 0. I understand this, and I used this technique on the 4 other problems. I have one question, however.

For the function f(x)=|x^2-1|, I found it to be differentiable at x = -1, but not at x = 1. Intuitively, this is wrong, but I can't find my mistake. The right and left hand derivatives I got to equal 0. Is this correct?

SomeRandomGuy said:
Ok, I did what you guys said and took the right and left hand derivatives for this function.
I got the right hand derivative to be infiinity, while the left is -infinity
that seems remarkably unlikely

So, it's not differentiable at x = 0. I understand this, and I used this technique on the 4 other problems. I have one question, however.
For the function f(x)=|x^2-1|, I found it to be differentiable at x = -1, but not at x = 1. Intuitively, this is wrong, but I can't find my mistake. The right and left hand derivatives I got to equal 0. Is this correct?

obviosuly not: just look at the graphswhen x<-1, and x>1, the function is identically x^2-1,so the derivative is 2x then

when -1<x<1 the function is 1-x^2 so its derivative is -2x

what are the limits of these as x tends to plus and minus 1?

Thanks for the help guys, I made some pretty dumb mistakes in a few of my posts that I caught tonight after looking things over. I think I have the answers now. when f(x) = |x^2-1|, it's not differentiable at x = 1, -1. when f(x) = x|x|, it's differentiable at 0. Is this right? If needed, ill post work so you guys just don't think your giving me an answer.

SomeRandomGuy said:
Thanks for the help guys, I made some pretty dumb mistakes in a few of my posts that I caught tonight after looking things over. I think I have the answers now. when f(x) = |x^2-1|, it's not differentiable at x = 1, -1. when f(x) = x|x|, it's differentiable at 0. Is this right? If needed, ill post work so you guys just don't think your giving me an answer.

Just plot that the graph.

That's the easiest way to know.

1. What does it mean for a function to be differentiable?

When a function is differentiable, it means that it has a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain. In other words, the slope of the tangent line to the function at any point can be determined.

2. How do you determine if a function is differentiable?

A function is differentiable if its derivative exists at every point in its domain. This can be determined by using the definition of a derivative or by checking if the function satisfies the conditions of differentiability, such as continuity and smoothness.

3. What is the difference between a differentiable and non-differentiable function?

A differentiable function has a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain, while a non-differentiable function does not have a derivative at one or more points in its domain. In other words, a differentiable function is smooth and has a well-defined slope at every point, while a non-differentiable function may have sharp turns or discontinuities.

4. Can a function be differentiable at some points and not others?

Yes, a function can be differentiable at some points and not others. For example, a function may be differentiable at all points except for a single point where it has a sharp corner or a discontinuity. In this case, the function is considered to be differentiable almost everywhere.

5. How can the differentiability of a function be used in real-world applications?

The concept of differentiability is essential in many areas of science and engineering, as it helps to analyze the behavior of functions and model real-world phenomena. For example, in physics, determining the velocity and acceleration of an object involves finding the derivatives of displacement and velocity functions, which requires the functions to be differentiable. In economics and finance, the concept of differentiability is used to calculate marginal costs, production rates, and interest rates.