Subspace Span Determination for Vector y in R^4 using Augmented Matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses determining whether a given vector y is in the subspace of R^4 spanned by the columns of a given matrix A. The solution involves creating an augmented matrix from A and y, reducing it, and solving for the value of s. It is determined that for s = -7, y is in the subspace, and for all other values of s, y is not in the subspace. The concept of a subspace and its closure under addition and scalar multiplication is also briefly discussed.
karnten07

Homework Statement

For each s [tex]\in[/tex]R determine whether the vector y is in the subspace of R^4 spanned by the columns of A where

y=
s

and A =

1 3 2
-1 -1 1
3 8 1
4 9 3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can i do this by making an augmented matrix from A and y and then reducing it, then i can see what value of s is required? i will attemp this and update with what i get soon.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, so i get my reduced row form as:

1 3 2 6
0 1 3 13
0 0 1 2
0 0 0 s+7

so does this tell me that s must be -7?

So would i say that for s = -7, the vector y is in the subspace of R^4 and for s [tex]\neq[/tex]-7 it is not in the subspace? Is this all that is required? Do i need to show that the vector y with s =-7 is closed under additon and scalar multiplication, if so i may need help showing this. Many thanks

Yes, that's all you need to show.

You don't need "to show that the vector y with s =-7 is closed under additon and scalar multiplication"- that doesn't even make sense! A vector is never closed under addition and scalar multiplication- a subspace is. An the "span" of a set of vectors, including the three vectors (not y) given here is, by definition, all possible sums of scalar products of the vectors and so is closed under addition and scalar multiplication.

You could have done this directly from the definition of "span": y is in the span if and only if it is equal to a linear combination of them: that (6, 7 , 1, s)= a(1, -1, 3, 4)+ b(3, -1, 8, 9)+ c(2, 1, 1, 3) for some values of a, b, c. Of course, that gives you 4 equations to solve: a+ 3b+ 2c= 6, -a- b+ c= 7, 3a+ 8b+ 3c= 1, and 4a+ 9b+ 3c= s and solving that system is exactly the same as reducing the augmented matrix you have.

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, that's all you need to show.

You don't need "to show that the vector y with s =-7 is closed under additon and scalar multiplication"- that doesn't even make sense! A vector is never closed under addition and scalar multiplication- a subspace is. An the "span" of a set of vectors, including the three vectors (not y) given here is, by definition, all possible sums of scalar products of the vectors and so is closed under addition and scalar multiplication.

You could have done this directly from the definition of "span": y is in the span if and only if it is equal to a linear combination of them: that (6, 7 , 1, s)= a(1, -1, 3, 4)+ b(3, -1, 8, 9)+ c(2, 1, 1, 3) for some values of a, b, c. Of course, that gives you 4 equations to solve: a+ 3b+ 2c= 6, -a- b+ c= 7, 3a+ 8b+ 3c= 1, and 4a+ 9b+ 3c= s and solving that system is exactly the same as reducing the augmented matrix you have.

Thats great, thanks HallsofIvy.

I have a problem.
Suppose that {u1,u2,...,um} are vectors of R^n. Prove, directly that span
{u1,u2,...,um} is a subspace of R^n.

squenshl said:
I have a problem.
Suppose that {u1,u2,...,um} are vectors of R^n. Prove, directly that span
{u1,u2,...,um} is a subspace of R^n.

Since this is a separate problem, start a separate thread. The "New Topic" button is just above the list of threads.

1. What is subspace span determination?

Subspace span determination is a method used to determine if a given vector can be expressed as a linear combination of other vectors in a given subspace. This allows us to understand the relationships between vectors and their span in a given space.

2. What is a vector in R^4?

A vector in R^4 is a mathematical object that has four components and can be represented as a point in four-dimensional space. It is commonly used to represent physical quantities such as position, velocity, and force in physics and engineering.

3. How is an augmented matrix used in subspace span determination?

An augmented matrix is a matrix that contains both the coefficients of the variables and the constants of a system of linear equations. In subspace span determination, it is used to represent the given vectors and the vector we want to determine the span for in order to solve for the coefficients and determine the relationships between the vectors.

4. What does it mean for a vector to be linearly independent?

A set of vectors is considered linearly independent if none of the vectors in the set can be expressed as a linear combination of the others. In other words, no vector in the set is redundant and each vector brings something unique to the span of the set.

5. How does subspace span determination relate to other areas of mathematics?

Subspace span determination is closely related to linear algebra and vector spaces. It also has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It is a fundamental concept in mathematics that allows us to understand the properties and relationships of vectors and their spans in various spaces.